• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is Happening To My Lenses?

If the lenses stay like they are now, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with them. As others have mentioned, it doesn't affect vision while wearing them and you have to look close to see it. However, I expected this to just be the beginning. I thought that once they start peeling, they will continue to do so over the entire lens. I am still disappointed though.
It will stop there. It only goes as far as the oils do. The part that comes in contact with your face oils is all that gets eaten. Your cheeks and the sweat from your nosebombs are what is damaging the coating. It will stop there. It wont be like a ripped fabric, where once it starts, there is no stopping it. Sweat drops arent what causes the damage, it is the constant contact with your body, so where the contact stops, the damage stops.

My question to the guru is since it is AR coating is it possible to buff that off? I sell watches for a living and do this all the time if the AR gets scratches on a crystal.

Edit: By buff of, what I mean is to remove the AR coating from the lens altogether.

It will stop there. It only goes as far as the oils do. The part that comes in contact with your face oils is all that gets eaten. Your cheeks and the sweat from your nosebombs are what is damaging the coating. It will stop there. It wont be like a ripped fabric, where once it starts, there is no stopping it. Sweat drops arent what causes the damage, it is the constant contact with your body, so where the contact stops, the damage stops.

Yeah, this peeling on my Rubies started years ago and it never affected my field of vision. I have to 'look for' it to have it interfering on my sight.
On the other hand in my first pair it really took over. I must have done something bad back then, I can't really recall, but those were my first Oakleys and I probably mistreated them.

I think 5 years is a dang good return on your investment.

I would agree, if I wore them all day everyday. But only wearing for a couple hours a week, if that, seems ridiculous. My half jackets are my least favorite of all my oakleys, so they get the least amount of wear. Sometimes, there are months that go by where I don't wear them at all. I have a pair of cheap 3m sunglasses I bought at Lowes for around $20. They are my work glasses. I wore them all day long while working in construction for 4-5 years and while mowing and outdoor work around the house, so they see a lot of wear and abuse. They still look the same as the day I bought them, minus a few light scratches.

Last edited:
That is kind of the point I am making. If iridium coating cannot not be made to be more durable or last as long as a cheap pair of 3m glasses without delicate care, maybe they should look at other options and quit using iridium coating. That is the point of R&D, to find out what works or modify what doesn't so that it does.

Again, don't get me wrong. I'm not on here to bash Oakley or be a hater or a troll. Aside from all the frames I've mentioned that I have, I also have many shirts, hats, and jackets, flip flops, a kitchen sink bag and large roller luggage bag. I also plan on getting the home office bag when I complete school to become a teacher. But when I pay good money for sunglasses, and have problems with several of them, I become very disappointed.

You're right about R&D. But currently there is a tradeoff between optical clarity+impact protection and durability. You just have to choose which you value more and then purchase whichever suits your needs best.

Back