1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. XMetalAddict

XMetalAddict Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member Lifetime Member

Hi everyone, I have finally come out of hibernation after the winter and maybe it is my brain being a little foggy but I would like to ask the collective for help understanding what is true Ice Iridium. I have recently acquired some boxed Blue Iridium, polished Juliet's which are definitely a nice shade of blue. However, a while back I also purchased a set of plasma Juliet frames with polarized Ice Iridium lenses which were also boxed (and I have no reason to suspect they have had a lens change). The only difference between these is that one is polarized and the other is not, but the base tint and iridium appearance is very similar (see below). The polarized (plasma set) is a little darker as expected:

What is Ice Iridium and what is Blue iridium? - 5197-1460991556-669d89bb73216bd5273194c5176c790f.jpg
    Left: Plasma Ice Irid Pol. Right: Polished Blue Irid.

However, I also have a pair of Juliet plasma frames with polarized Ice Iridium Rx lenses which are definitely lighter/paler blue which is similar to my non-polarized Ice Iridium Penny (in picture below). As you can see there is a big difference in hue to both.

What is Ice Iridium and what is Blue iridium? - 5200-1460991589-890296fb7b684c13112f25089867173d.jpg
    Top Left: Rx Ice Irid Pol. Bottom Left: Penny Ice Irid Pol.
    Top Right: Polished Blue Irid. Bottom Right: Plasma Ice Irid Pol.

Just for comparison I have also mixed them up a bit:

What is Ice Iridium and what is Blue iridium? - 5199-1460991577-cf3470b59e1c1a332fe57a04edeeb021.jpg
    Left: Ice Irid Pol. Right: Rx Ice Irid Pol.

What is Ice Iridium and what is Blue iridium? - 5198-1460991567-0d483161277455d3498611705ef98e55.jpg
    Left: Ice Irid Pol. Right: Penny Ice Irid Pol.

If nothing else, maybe this will help others with all the different shades of old style (non-sapphire deep blue..etc) blue available.

Maybe this is similar to the Ruby/FRuby lens as it evolved over the years. However, I would like to hear from the Oakley experts/gurus on this forum.

Thanks for your enlightenment!

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

It's a tricky question because Oakley has released more than one version of "Blue Iridium", one with a grey base tint and the other with a contrast base tint.

In my experience with the Blue Iridium OEM with polished Juliets vs. Ice, the Blue has a slightly richer hue.

Ice tends to be a pretty consistent color compared to others like Ruby and Fire but I have seen examples of minor variations.

Never seen RX Ice like that, but I don't use RX.

3. XMetalAddict

Thanks @kronin323, I knew you would not dissapoint. Both the Blue and Ice in question above have the same base tint and there is really very little to separate then other than the contribution made by the polar lens.

Can you confirm that there was Blue Iridium Polarized lens made? I think I have seen it on other frames, not X-Metals though.

4. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

That's a good question that I'd like confirmation on, too.

AFAIK there were no Blue Iridium Polarized lenses for Juliet. There certainly weren't as an OEM colorway and I'm unaware of them as replacement lenses. But perhaps there were...

I happen to have a set of Juliet lenses that were sold as Ice polar but the blue is a much richer hue than my other Ice polars (I have like four sets for Juliet). I would guess they're actually Blue Iridium, but only if I got confirmation that Blue Iridium Polarized Juliet replacement lenses were actually made...

Dallas O Hog likes this.
  5. XMetalAddict

Aah! What you are talking about is almost the same as my situation, but reversed. I have just looked at the new pair of Ice Irid Polar lenses I have and they are different (lighter) to the ones in the frame. The ones in the frame sound like your replacement ones.

I wonder if a batch of Blue Iridium Polarized were accidentally made and sold off as Ice?

Conspiracy theory LOL!

6. NoFair

NoFair Oakley Collector

I think my old (1. gen plasma) ice lenses are darker blue than my new replacement lenses. The new ones look more like the ones on the right in the first pic while the old ones are like the ones on the left.

7. XMetalAddict

Interesting, that is the Blue Iridium. I just took a photo of my spare Ice Iridium Polarized lenses (not the greatest picture due to reflections), but at least you can tell that it is not as deep as the ones in the first photo in the first post:

[​IMG]

8. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

Friggin kronin is a walking encyclopedia.

Wavecloud, discostu and kronin323 like this.
  9. OakleyFrankFMJ

OakleyFrankFMJ The Legend - - Vlad the Impaler Premium Member Lifetime Member

He is WikiKroninpedia

discostu and kronin323 like this.
  10. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

Ice is a straight up dark blue on grey base, whereas the blue used on Juliet was either a purplish or greenish blue on the same base.

discostu, gulfstream and kronin323 like this.