• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Is The Best Stuff To Lubricate Spring Hinges

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Like on Half-X, Penny, etc... any recommendations?

I would keep them clean and dry, definitely nothing heavy or too greasy that would pull in dirt. Possibly a dab of white lithium .. my two cents

I was thinking a touch of graphite on the Penny's or something, just a bit... nothing oily/liquid. I'm not sure if the Half-X's need anything at all, but it does seem some of the Penny hinges get 'dry' when well cleaned.

I was thinking graphite, too, but I haven't tried them on Oaks so I defer to the experts. With the other stuff I've used graphite on, it works great but wears off pretty fast.

We also got some spray silicone lubricant at work - it leaves a dry, tack-free film that won't accumulate dust or dirt. Again, though, haven't tried it on Oaks...

Another idea might be "dry molybdenum" sprayed into a syringe then using it to precisely apply the lube into the hinge in tiny amounts under slight pressure when the stem is at a couple of different positions then moving the stem back and forth a few times. Wipe off any excess and you should be good to go for a long time.
We use dry moly spray on open swing gears on cranes and it lasts and doesn't gum up with dust.
Anyway, that's my advise for the day. Back to my nap ;)

Back