• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

what lens for led screen blue light filtering?

DKO

Oakley Enthusiast
626, SGV, CA
Yes I know there are similar threads about blue light, The member in the UK with migraines who wants indoor and outdoor tint, and the other guy about melatonin receptors, but I'm looking for specific answers.
These days we read about blue light wavelength exposure from staring at phone screens, tablets, monitors for extended amounts of time, and how it causes all these health issues. Including eye strain, cataracts, messed up sleep schedules, etc. I for one sit in front of computer screen all day as I suspect many other members do, and lets not get into smartphones and tablet hours too.
In my case its macular degeneration. My issue is not caused specifically to blue light, but I have to be more careful about it as it definitely damages the retina over time.
I've mentioned that I've been using Flak's with Titanium Clear for eye strain and I am happy with it but now worry about blue light and my retina. In earlier threads many mentioned Persimmon and HI Persimmon, but others also say color reproduction and too much contrast are issues. I also think the VR and G lens tints are too dark for inside use in the office.
So what does everyone think about blue light and long hours of electronic device exposure?

Do my Titanium Clears block the dangerous blue light, which one study says is, the 415nm-455nm part of the spectrum?
Does anyone know if Persimmon, HI Persimmon, HI Yellow, VR50, PRIZM Trail filter out this wavelength?
Do you know of any Oakley tint that filters out this wavelength?
Which Oakley tint filters out this wavelength and is the most easy to look through at your screens? (color reproduction, moderate contrast, etc)

I know there are Gunnars that supposedly do all this, but I would love to stick with Oakleys if there are definitive blue light blocking lenses in this wavelength that are usable indoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Persimon is best for low light conditions. I especially like them at night against headlights while I am not driving.
20160714_232707.jpg

From my experience. Everyones eyeballs are different. What bothers me, may not bother you. Flourescent lights hurt my eyes and increase blurred vision. I have tried many contrast tints indoors. For me, the persimmon works best. The only true way to find what is best for you, is to try the different lenses first hand. But, I do realize you are looking for specific scientific information here. That's not my department. But, let's just say that you find the "perfect tint" that filters the light you speak of. But, your eyes do not dialate as wide as normal, and you have retinal issues. Then, will the answers you recieve in this thread be inaccurate because they do not suit your personal needs? I am not a pro, just asking hypothetical questions here, as I like to learn as well.

Hi SecretNinja,
Thanks for your opinions on Persimmon. My post is essentially two parts, does anyone know what lens tint filters the 415nm-455nm. And which one of those tints are you most happy with using indoors.
If you like the way Persimmon works for eye strain, thanks for your opinion on that. It's the 415nm-455nm blue light that supposedly damages retinas, and that's separate from the what lens do you like for eye strain question.

Hi SecretNinja,
Thanks for your opinions on Persimmon. My post is essentially two parts, does anyone know what lens tint filters the 415nm-455nm. And which one of those tints are you most happy with using indoors.
If you like the way Persimmon works for eye strain, thanks for your opinion on that. It's the 415nm-455nm blue light that supposedly damages retinas, and that's separate from the what lens do you like for eye strain question.
For sure. You have a very good question here. I had retinal detatchment in both eyes as well as numerous eye surgeries. My eyes strain a lot even under flourescent lights while out shopping. So far, persimmon is the best remedy for my case indoors.

Ok, I don't know which lenses currently filter this wavelength specifically referred to as HEV (high energy visible) light, blue light, or "harmful blue light" made by Oakley. My guess is Oakley RX will probably get into that soon as it's a hot topic, especially when related to ARMD, wet and dry age related macular degeneration (major retinal cause of blindness). I'm not a doctor, but I am an optician. A few things to point out are first, not all blue light is bad (violet/blue wavelength is considered bad, violet/turquoise is considered good). So @DKO is really asking a very specific question. My answer is this. Get custom made lenses from an optician like myself! I sell a mild yellow pigmented lens (yellowish) called BlueTech, made by Signetek (makers of Kodak Lenses). The BlueTech blocks 40% of harmful blue light. It's amazing and proven to block those wavelengths! Another option is actually a clear lens! Yes a clear lens called "blue clear" or "Total Blue!" These lenses are completely clear but block 20%+ of harmful HEV light. When you stack those lenses with a premium anti glare coating for computers like Crizal Prevencia, or ICoat Indigo HD AR coatings you are really getting the protection you need.... without blocking the "good blue light" we need for our bodies sleep rhythm and melatonin cycles for mood.
If it helps I'll custom make you a set! They'll typically have a scratch warranty too :)
Hope that helps. @SecretNinja is completely correct on what colors work best, and persimmon, HI Yellow, and similar Oakley lenses will block blue light, but weren't specifically designed with the current Medical Eye protection theories in mind. Different colors will help different people, and that's a subjective thing. I for example don't like the yellow tint, so I prefer clear lenses with Prevencia, Crizal coatings!

Ok, I don't know which lenses currently filter this wavelength specifically referred to as HEV (high energy visible) light, blue light, or "harmful blue light" made by Oakley. My guess is Oakley RX will probably get into that soon as it's a hot topic, especially when related to ARMD, wet and dry age related macular degeneration (major retinal cause of blindness). I'm not a doctor, but I am an optician. A few things to point out are first, not all blue light is bad (violet/blue wavelength is considered bad, violet/turquoise is considered good). So @DKO is really asking a very specific question. My answer is this. Get custom made lenses from an optician like myself! I sell a mild yellow pigmented lens (yellowish) called BlueTech, made by Signetek (makers of Kodak Lenses). The BlueTech blocks 40% of harmful blue light. It's amazing and proven to block those wavelengths! Another option is actually a clear lens! Yes a clear lens called "blue clear" or "Total Blue!" These lenses are completely clear but block 20%+ of harmful HEV light. When you stack those lenses with a premium anti glare coating for computers like Crizal Prevencia, or ICoat Indigo HD AR coatings you are really getting the protection you need.... without blocking the "good blue light" we need for our bodies sleep rhythm and melatonin cycles for mood.
If it helps I'll custom make you a set! They'll typically have a scratch warranty too :)
Hope that helps. @SecretNinja is completely correct on what colors work best, and persimmon, HI Yellow, and similar Oakley lenses will block blue light, but weren't specifically designed with the current Medical Eye protection theories in mind. Different colors will help different people, and that's a subjective thing. I for example don't like the yellow tint, so I prefer clear lenses with Prevencia, Crizal coatings!

Thanks Chris. This is very informative. I really like hearing all the science in your explanations. So my issue is that I have a central serous retinoptathy in one eye that comes and goes, and a vitreous detachment in the other eye from muay thai training. So I don't have any major issues now, but am definitely more susceptible to retinal damage now. That's why I'm concerned about this blue light issue as I sit at a desk staring at a monitor all day.
For now I'm going to put your offer to make glasses for me on hold since I live in Bangkok now, but if I'm back in the states permanently I'll definitely take you up on the offer.
I'm actually ok with blocking all blue light because I would only wear these glasses while at my computer monitor at work. Or if I stare at my phone for an extended time. I wouldn't wear them outside (other Oakleys for that) or all day or night. Which Oakley tint do you think blocks blue light the most?

On a related matter. I saw this post on another website that shows towards the bottom of the page, two spectrum bars with nm markings and the poster claims that if you wear your glasses and the blue violet range of the bars match perfectly then your glasses block that part of the spectrum. Do you think this is an effective measure for people at home to see if their Oakleys block blue light? I tried my Titanium Clears and nothing changed on the graphic, and I tried my Prizm Daily's and it looked like it blocked the blue light about 50%.
Will plain red or orange lenses block blue light for sleep?

Thanks for your expertise Chris.

Back