• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

what lens for led screen blue light filtering?

Very cool webpage. I honestly can't answer to whether that is accurate or not. I don't have time to sit down and test all my lens samples. I apologize for that. However, since many lenses only block a portion of blue light spectrum I don't think many indoor lenses would make those images match.
I gave you my two cents, backed by years of medical research (by Essilor lens of America, and Signet Armorlite). I'm not going to answer to which Oakley lenses block blue light to reduce likelihood of future retinal issues, since there aren't any designed with that intent. I'm sure Oakley will jump on this issue soon :)
I would highly consider rethinking your position on BlueTech lenses (yellowish tint looking), Smart Blue Filter, or Blue Clear Lenses by Essilor, aka Eyezen, clear lenses, and/or Crizal Prevencia. If they are non prescription the prices range from about $100-300.

Sorry for the delayed response. I hope I've helped. Just remember, you might not be currently experiencing symptoms but I wouldn't consider your two eyes history of Trauma a small concern. Remember you only get two eyes!

This might help you. Most are agreeing a yellow or HI Yellow is best.

Ideal Lens For A Computer Screen?
I have had multiple eye traumas much similar to the above mentioned. I reach for yellow right away. This is because I have tried numerous tints for the same reasons and, those colors work best for me. But, hey, we all know what they say about opinions.

Very cool webpage. I honestly can't answer to whether that is accurate or not. I don't have time to sit down and test all my lens samples. I apologize for that. However, since many lenses only block a portion of blue light spectrum I don't think many indoor lenses would make those images match.
I gave you my two cents, backed by years of medical research (by Essilor lens of America, and Signet Armorlite). I'm not going to answer to which Oakley lenses block blue light to reduce likelihood of future retinal issues, since there aren't any designed with that intent. I'm sure Oakley will jump on this issue soon :)
I would highly consider rethinking your position on BlueTech lenses (yellowish tint looking), Smart Blue Filter, or Blue Clear Lenses by Essilor, aka Eyezen, clear lenses, and/or Crizal Prevencia. If they are non prescription the prices range from about $100-300.

Sorry for the delayed response. I hope I've helped. Just remember, you might not be currently experiencing symptoms but I wouldn't consider your two eyes history of Trauma a small concern. Remember you only get two eyes!

I wasn't asking you to test all your lenses against that spectrum chart, just wondering if you thought it was a real way to test blue light blocking or is it bogus?
It's not that my retina issues don't matter at all, but they aren't anything to be concerned about right now, but I am concerned with retina damage from blue light over the long term for my weakened retinas, which is the motivation for my original post.

Thanks Chris you helped alot. Would you be able to cut any of the lenses you mentioned to fit into Flaks? or Racing Jackets? I know you do alot of custom cuts for Oakleys.

Both Racing Jacket and Flak Jacket, or FJXLJs would be options.

I wish I had seen that spectrum chart before, out had experience with it. I think if it comes from a good source could be helpful. But due to my lack of experience with it I'm unsure how much it measures, or if it must block almost SL of the blue wavelength.

Thanks for Reply, I'd recommend doing more research. I appreciate you guys thinking I might be able to help :) maybe if I find time at work I can look at it with the BlueTech lens. Or has anyone looked at it with yellow Oakley or Gunnar lenses?

Not exactly scientific but I find the best lens for those nasty blue led headlamps are Violet or Black Violet..

Just read somewhere that blue light is considered a big player in cancer! :(

Truth is - nobody really knows because it's only been around as LEDs for a decade or so.

I know it makes me feel like ****e - that's all I need to know!

Not exactly scientific but I find the best lens for those nasty blue led headlamps are Violet or Black Violet..

Just read somewhere that blue light is considered a big player in cancer! :(

Truth is - nobody really knows because it's only been around as LEDs for a decade or so.

I know it makes me feel like ****e - that's all I need to know!
I remember when Halogen lights were the biggest fad. I'm glad I changed those out.

On a related matter. I saw this post on another website that shows towards the bottom of the page, two spectrum bars with nm markings and the poster claims that if you wear your glasses and the blue violet range of the bars match perfectly then your glasses block that part of the spectrum. Do you think this is an effective measure for people at home to see if their Oakleys block blue light? I tried my Titanium Clears and nothing changed on the graphic, and I tried my Prizm Daily's and it looked like it blocked the blue light about 50%.
Will plain red or orange lenses block blue light for sleep?
I tested 3 lenses i had at my work computer with See photos attached.
1. Titanium Clear flak lens
2. Prizm Daily Mainlink
3. HI Yellow flak lens
Again i"m not sure if the chart is accurate. If you look at the blue light left end of the spectrum. Ti Clear seems to block no blue light, Prizm Daily blocks a little. And HI Yellow block nearly all the blue light.
It looks like i will be wearing my HI Yellow in my desk Flaks at work from now on.
Ti Clear.JPG Prizm Daily.JPG HI Yellow.JPG

Latest Posts

Back