• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Makes A Collector

I'd say 6 is a collection... :cool:

I'm currently sitting at 28 pairs... With 2 more pairs on the way. :big_boss:

There are collectors here with over 100 pairs though... And some with collections costing upwards of $100,000!

Im right around 100 but not there yet. Im definitely a collector but some have much larger and better collections than me. To me, a collector is one who obtains pairs for their collectibility. In my opinion, u can have a collection without being a collector.

I think the number is not the main thing that detemines if you are a collector or not. To me a collector is someone that has a passion for the brand and their products. And stays tuned with the latest news and likes to invest time in being busy with Oakley.
Also not everyone has the money to own a huge collection...

I've known a few that have had the money and numbers, but I wouldn't consider them collectors. The passion is what drives in my eyes.

I'd have to agree....the number doesn't make the collection......the collectors passion makes the collection.....if you have 6, and you enjoy them, then you sir, are a collector.....;)

a person who adds items to a collection on a regular basis over a period of time. with that in mind collectors can be at vastly different stages of collecting, eg one record collector with 200 records can be a 'collector' as much as someone with 5000 records, but the difference is in the collection itself. a collection of anything will reflect the interests and emotions of the collector, therefore collections can vary very much on a given subject, eg, with oakley some people may have a large custom type stash, others just x metals, frogs etc, specializing in different areas. i think the critical points though are 1) to aim for top condition pieces, accepting lower grades the rarer you go. 2) the importance of original packaging and contents, those two should remain consistent with whatever you collect. quantity also does matter, some people say its quality over quantity - true, but i say its both, you can always have more good quality items and that will raise the bar of your collection. cornerstone pieces help, if you have lots of super rare items people salivate for then the profile of your collection is better.
for me, 808 pairs, almost all excellent/mint with original boxes/contents, all but 3 issued lenses, most frogs, x metals, many production rare items, examples of most models, variety of other products. low profile custom items, no goggles. there are many more glasses i would love, a true collector is never happy, or happy for brief moments, wants everything but cannot achieve it, is driven and cannot stop, is addicted and probably out of control with obsessive dedication. sometimes a collector will think it would have been better if they had not started, perhaps feels relief if/when they stop. maybe it can be impossible to stop when the collecting wave has become so big you are swept away by it.

Latest Posts

Back