• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What makes Oakley eyewear so good?

Oakley has done their marketing tests on inferior polycarbonate lenses, but I would like to see how it measures up to testing with the newer Trivex lenses. Trivex is known industry wide to be the superior lens material but a lot more expensive. However it all depends on the frame supporting the lenses. Would be interesting to see what happens when it is put through Oakley's marketing tests.

Last edited:
I'm a retailer and have done/seen many of the optical and impact testing and pulled glasses out of sunglass cases to try. Every Oakley in 15 years of being in the industry has been perfect. We've had a couple Dragons test really well, many not well at all. Spy generally not great. Maui Jim all over the place. Kaenon consistently very good but not perfect. My experience isn't through Oakley marketing, it's 1st hand.

I'm not that familiar with Trivex, but it's always being compared to "polycarbonate" but there are many different qualities of polycarbonate. It would be like saying our car is better and faster than other cars. They're obviously going to compare it to a Lada not a Lambo because it's what makes their product look best.

I'm a retailer and have done/seen many of the optical and impact testing and pulled glasses out of sunglass cases to try. Every Oakley in 15 years of being in the industry has been perfect. We've had a couple Dragons test really well, many not well at all. Spy generally not great. Maui Jim all over the place. Kaenon consistently very good but not perfect. My experience isn't through Oakley marketing, it's 1st hand.

I'm not that familiar with Trivex, but it's always being compared to "polycarbonate" but there are many different qualities of polycarbonate. It would be like saying our car is better and faster than other cars. They're obviously going to compare it to a Lada not a Lambo because it's what makes their product look best.

For consumer purposes, Trivex is compared to polycarbonate in at least the following categories:
1. Optical quality, which Trivex is said to be better
2. Impact resistance, which both being in the same realm but with Trivex having the slight edge
3. Cost, with polycarbonate being much more cost effective
4. Thickness ratio, which polycarbonate being thinner
5. Weight, with Trivex being lighter

But all this depends on the 'wrapper' they have holding the lenses. That's when the tests get interesting and may skew some of the above results.

How does Oakley's resilience/quality compare between pre and post-Luxottica acquisition? Is there any difference in quality in that regard?

For consumer purposes, Trivex is compared to polycarbonate in at least the following categories:
1. Optical quality, which Trivex is said to be better
2. Impact resistance, which both being in the same realm but with Trivex having the slight edge
3. Cost, with polycarbonate being much more cost effective
4. Thickness ratio, which polycarbonate being thinner
5. Weight, with Trivex being lighter

But all this depends on the 'wrapper' they have holding the lenses. That's when the tests get interesting and may skew some of the above results.

And it's just comparing to polycarbonate in general, not Plutonite which is a much better, clearer, purer polycarbonate than any other brand uses.

And it's just comparing to polycarbonate in general, not Plutonite which is a much better, clearer, purer polycarbonate than any other brand uses.

Which is why a test is needed. Polycarbonate, no matter the marketing spin put on it, is still limited by its inherent chemical properties. So is Trivex but the industry scientists are saying the inherent chemical properties of Trivex > inherent properties of any polycarbonate-based lens. It's just science, and I would love to see the science put to practical use rather than marketing spin from all sides and all brands. And while Oakley's test aren't seen as being scientifically correct by anyone, it is better than nothing I suppose.

No change. Lenses are all still done in Cali. Just some of the frame materials are being produced elsewhere.

Thanks for thoroughly answering my questions. So why is there such a negative clamor about Oakley post-Luxxotica? By the way, if I'm not mistaken, Luxxotica is an Italian company...Not Chinese. I was reading/hearing all along that Luxxotica was associated with "Made in China" and that it was a Chinese company. I found out recently that's not the case.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for thoroughly answering my questions. So why is there such a negative clamor about Oakley post-Luxxotica? By the way, if I'm not mistaken, Luxxotica is an Italian company...Not Chinese. I was reading/hearing all along that Luxxotica was associated with "Made in China" and that it was a Chinese company. I found out recently that's not the case.

What am I missing here?
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/official-dead-horse-thread.43515/

Yup...Lux is Italian.
There is some product now that is Made in China.

Back