• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Paint??

hollygrove

Oakley Beginner
Hey, I'm sure this will be mentioned somewhere on the forum but I couldn't seem to find anything solid... What type of
Paint would I use for a custom job on o-matter?....do I remove the paint that's already on first? Do I need a primer? How many coats? Etc..I realize this is probably a loaded question with several possible answers but just a quick run down on what you guys think is best will do.. I have a pair of diesel shades I'm gonna try n pimp as kind of a test run and am also curious as to wether there's any quality of oakleys o-matter that may behave differently when painted compared to the plastic in the diesel.? If alls ok ima go to work on my radars.. I got no love for them at all.lol.

Thanks in advance

Hg

Dr. Chop is the resident paint and customization expert here, I'm sure he'll help you with some info and advice. Airbrushing with quality paint is the method of choice...no rattlecan stuff if you want quality results. I'm a noob trying to learn myself :redface:.

Yea I've seen his work..incredible, that's what prompted me to attempt it myself, if I can end with a finished product half as good then I'm a happy man...when you say quality paint... What type of quality paint? If you know what I mean...like if I buy a plastic paint for models fo example, will that do? Oakleys are obviously prone to wear and tear so is there a primer or paint that works well under those types of stress? Ill was actually gonna pm dr chop but thought rather than bombard the dude with questions I'd ask the masses first.lol.. Thanks for the response uluahunter. ( you gon have to tell me what to call ya for short ) ha

Yea I've seen his work..incredible, that's what prompted me to attempt it myself, if I can end with a finished product half as good then I'm a happy man...when you say quality paint... What type of quality paint? If you know what I mean...like if I buy a plastic paint for models fo example, will that do? Oakleys are obviously prone to wear and tear so is there a primer or paint that works well under those types of stress? Ill was actually gonna pm dr chop but thought rather than bombard the dude with questions I'd ask the masses first.lol.. Thanks for the response uluahunter. ( you gon have to tell me what to call ya for short ) ha

he uses automotive grade paints.. very good ones at that. like dupont etc.

No problem hg, my name is Brant or Ulua or hunter or whatever you feel like calling me, LOL. Anyway, I recall the doc saying he uses top end paints such as House Of Kolor (automotive grade paint). I don't think he used primers and don't recall exactly what prep methods he used prior to actually painting. If I can find the thread I'll post it here. He also recommended a website and some starter equipment to me, which I can't recollect either (damn, I'm getting old!), but I'll try to find that too. I'll get back shortly, if the doc doesn't reply first.

Funny, it's never as obvious as it seems. When I first started joining forums such as this, the first thing I would use is the search function. That's usually because I had a specific answer I was looking for. Then I would start getting into individual topics. I can see how people's excitement or eagerness can override the little box that says "Enter Search Criteria Here...Search", lol.

Nothing personal towards you hg :wink:, we all need guidance and advice. I understand how it is to be excited and eager to learn.

Funny, it's never as obvious as it seems. When I first started joining forums such as this, the first thing I would use is the search function. That's usually because I had a specific answer I was looking for. Then I would start getting into individual topics. I can see how people's excitement or eagerness can override the little box that says "Enter Search Criteria Here...Search", lol.

Nothing personal towards you hg :wink:, we all need guidance and advice. I understand how it is to be excited and eager to learn.

yeah, sorry, nothing personal meant! it was just a general comment on how we could maybe improve the website layout to make it friendlier to navigate around! maybe we should suggest the search box to be larger? or on the sidebar?

Back