• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Were They THINKING With The New Straight Jacket?

JacketFan

Oakley Beginner
The third gen I believe, the one out right now. I loved my original Straight Jackets (2nd gen though) and when I went to look for some new Oakleys back in like 2007 or 2008 all they had were black sunglasses and weird new styles. The new Straight Jacket though, man it just never made sense to me. It has a big curve upwards on the side and a huge bodybuilder looking arm. The design is so distracting. Why would they move away from such smooth lines and contoured body that was seamless? I could MAYBE understand making the lenses a little squarer but the rest, wow.

I think it looks fine.

We can't really complain on the one hand that Oakley isn't doing enough innovative thinking, then on the other hand also complain when they radically change some styles to keep up with the times.

They can't just keep regurgitating the same thing on and on and on all the time.

Oh, hang on. Yes they can.
I was forgetting about the Frogskin.
:)

Yeah but I just don't what they were doing with the arms. They need to keep something around for eye jacket style fans.

Like many Oakley eras, it was a period where a lot of frames carried the same design cues. It was a time of aggression in Oakley design I think. So the Monster Dog, Valve, and even the Half Jacket carried the same kind of furrowed lines.

You might therefore have a point. Straight Jacket by name only. Not really an evolution at all of the previous style.
More an evolution of the Valve actually, it could be argued.

I love my Rootbeer ones, the arms block out light and my eyes from the side . My eyes are more comfortable than my flaks .

I like them, I own two pairs. My favorite part of them IS their arms. It has a sort of batwing / shark tail look to it that I dig. Similar to the SCAR, which I also like a lot.

Back