• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Whats Going On In The World Of Frogskins?

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
So I've noticed over the past few months, buzz around Frogskins has really died down, and along with it, the conversations in this area. So I wanted to ask, whats going on in the world of frogskins? What's happened?

I know their haven't been as many big releases as in the past, but when you head over to Oakley, you do see an abundance of Frogs available: http://www.oakley.com/store/collections/frogskins-sunglasses, including the heritage collection and Infinite Hero's!

I've got a stash of Frogs myself, so I'm probably part of the Frogskins world then. My collection has remained where it was about a year or more ago, no new additions in a long while. Nothing even remotely fascinating since the Kazu Kabos and Skate Decks. I'd say oversupply and dwindling interest and demand has resulted in a lull in Frogskins hype.

Yeah let's of recycled colorways and boring collabs have killed the frog market. Interest and prices are way down.

Bad if you thought you had a long term investment, fine if you are trying to buy.

I will also add that rare pairs are not popping up for sale as much, probably due to the recent low sales

Agreed, a lot of the collabs have been boring. There need to be some new releases that are a little more special. I would say the last cool collab was the Rag & Bones White Camo.

One series that was pretty popular was the fade series. There were some good pairs in there. I wouldn't mind seeing a return with new colorways. Even if I liked the summit series because it was simple, the problem was that it was simple. Most of the pairs I have bought this year have been older ones. Once a couple interesting pairs come out, maybe we will see the Frogskins market improve.

The style was a throwback, like when bell bottoms make a come back, it doesnt have shelf life. For me my only frogs are for staring, I would never wear frogs. Add to that the subtle releases in the past year..
I still have some on my short list, but they have to be wholesale.

My 2 cents ...

Fashions are cyclical - they come and go, come and go, come and go, etc.

Looks like the Frogs are in the gone trend right now

But they'll return

when?

Who knows ...

o_O

I agree with most of the sentiments here, lack of innovative designs lately has put a bit of a damper on things (though I personally love the fallout collection, despite the poor lens choices) and the market doesn't seem to bearing the same prices it used to just 6 months ago for the rarer frogs. Which has contributed to those collectors keeping the frogs they have rather than selling them for loses. I recently decided to start adding to my frogskins collection again, as it was my first Oakley love and will always hold a dear place in my heart. But again as others have stated, the selling market for frogs is nearly dead at the moment, and those that do come up are asking for top dollar. Sad state of affairs if you ask me, but as @Frogksins stated, it'll come back around. Just have to have some patience, a virtue god did not bless me with!

My 2 cents ...

Fashions are cyclical - they come and go, come and go, come and go, etc.

Looks like the Frogs are in the gone trend right now

But they'll return

when?

Who knows ...

o_O
Yeah, but Frogs were never cool, so why should trends matter?