• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Whats Going On In The World Of Frogskins?

Perhaps a tide turning indicator of the Lux effect over Oakley?
Definitely something we are noticing from Lux. I feel that they have really held Oakley back on what they are truly capable of. Creativity is held back and it is like they are really targeting a broad audience with "normal" pairs. Along with that we have seen increases in prices. Like the Fall Out collection, the price really isn't justified for me. $200 is just more than I feel it should be for a non-polarized, not very rare pair. I am sure if the fades came out today they would be around the same price point.

I worry that the amount of truly unique pairs in the future will continue to fall. I love Oakley and Lux needs to let Oakley be themselves. They got big for a reason, they had cool stuff. Maybe they are letting Oakley have more of a say with the release of the Heritage collection, because the Eyeshade is not necessary today, but it is just awesome to buy. Your normal customer is not out looking for Eyeshades, but Oakley fans are. Hopefully we can see that trickle into the rest of the line. The new Heritage wave coming out sounds cool, just not super rare or anything.

As crazy as it is, the overall 'wayfarer' trend with sunglasses styles continues to chug along, despite being pretty popular for at least half a decade now. I see a ton of younger people still loving the wayfarer style, albeit 80% of the glasses I see in this style are the free promo giveaways or something that you would only pay a few dollars for. The other 19% are the older 20-somethings who can afford actual Ray-Ban Wayfarers. So that leaves about 1% to Frogskins.

I have to say that spotting Oakley Frogskins out in the wild is actually pretty rare. When I do I usually notice. The last pair I saw was in May, when I saw a girl wearing a pair of Frogskins with violet iridium lenses. That bumped her up at least two points on the attraction scale! Went to an indie music festival in June that had lots of hip 20-somethings, and didn't see any Frogs. Lots of wayfarer styles, mostly knockoffs and freebies. Felt good to wear my Rossi Frogs, the fire iridium is definitely a standout amidst a sea of gray and black lenses.

I love Frogs because they just look flippin' cool. The almost flat lenses reflect light in a certain way that the wraparounds never can. So the colored lenses in the Frogskins look especially bright. But for me it's not a day to day practical style, it's just fashion.They let in way too much light around the peripherals. If the sun isn't directly in front of you, you're still squinting. I might look like a 65 year old glaucoma patient wearing my huge Batwolfs, but my eyes are resting easy in the bright sun.

So yes, I'll continue to buy a few pairs here and there. But even as someone who loves Frogskins, I find the returns to be diminishing. Most of the new releases are meh. Personally I think they should be focusing on less quantity and more quality. I'm not sure we need to have 36 different types every year. Focus on maybe a dozen and go from there.