• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's On Your Plate???

Marinated jellyfish? Really? Zine is definitely not the Chinese found in the mall, that's for sure.

Nah - most Chinese food restaurants serve American Chinese food, which are basically derivatives of chop suey, created by Chinese immigrant railroad workers once upon a time. I never knew the difference until I caught the Yellow Fever (married an Asian), but now the American versions just don't do it for me.

I first posted jellyfish here:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/whats-on-your-plate.23234/page-49#post-367700

And then, when asked, described it more here:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/whats-on-your-plate.23234/page-49#post-368112

I've had it here, in Australia, and in Hong Kong and like it a lot.

Zine didn't get the rice vinegar / sesame oil balance right; too heavy on the sesame oil.

Nah - most Chinese food restaurants serve American Chinese food, which are basically derivatives of chop suey, created by Chinese immigrant railroad workers once upon a time. I never knew the difference until I caught the Yellow Fever (married an Asian), but now the American versions just don't do it for me.

I first posted jellyfish here:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/whats-on-your-plate.23234/page-49#post-367700

And then, when asked, described it more here:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/whats-on-your-plate.23234/page-49#post-368112

I've had it here, in Australia, and in Hong Kong and like it a lot.

Zine didn't get the rice vinegar / sesame oil balance right; too heavy on the sesame oil.
Of course I'd miss the initial post. I assume that it isn't venomous once cooked lol.

Here's the dinner at the Michelin-starred French restaurant I'd been looking forward to. We got their prix fixe seasonal tasting menu. It was interesting watching these guys work - they used a traditional brigade setup and were plating the stuff with tweezers lol...

To start, my drink - Chimay Triple "Cinq Cents", a 8% ABV Trappist ale. I had a couple of these:
20140802_181506.jpg

Course 1 - Avocado and cilantro flavored grapefruit gelee. Say what?
20140802_180604.jpg

Course 2 - Scallop carpaccio with lemon vinaigrette. The focus on the pic ain't the best but this one was our favorite:
20140802_181202.jpg

Course 3 - Piquillo pepper with smoked eggplant and tuna belly confit:
20140802_182332.jpg

Course 4 - Langoustine a la plancha with green curry and cilantro. For those of you not familiar with langoustine, it's a high-end shellfish that kinda looks like a cross between a shrimp and a lobster:
20140802_183827.jpg

Course 5 - Duck foie gras with a turmeric chicken broth custard. Huh?
20140802_184628.jpg

Course 6 - John Dory seared in lemongrass virgin olive oil with tomato. For those of you not familiar with John Dory, it's a high-end type of fish:
20140802_185650.jpg

Course 7 - Caramelized free range quail stuffed with foie gras, served with mashed potatoes. I was expecting a whole or half quail, not a little breast and drummie:
20140802_190550.jpg

Course 8 - Light lime ganache with strawberry and tomato sorbet. This is supposed to be a dessert. Pretty...
20140802_192237.jpg

And finally, course 9 - Cherry-chocolate peanut sable on Amarena ice cream. Another dessert:
20140802_193042.jpg

Overall, it was a great meal, but I was a little disappointed - it didn't really stand out above some of the top notch, high-end (but non-Michelin starred) restaurants here in Austin. And our local ones, though still a pretty penny, are around 2/3 the price.

Afterwards we went to the David Copperfield show. Again, a bit of a disappointment - I saw him live once when I was a kid and I was expecting something grand. He did do a few good illusions but it was mostly street magic-type stuff, a lot of audience interaction. And a prolonged, really stupid bit with a cute green "alien" robotic puppet. Seriously.

OK, final Vegas trip food post. At the airport waiting for the flight out, a breakfast wrap with eggs, sausage, ham, onion, and cheddar.

Airport food is typically precooked/reheated and/or frozen overpriced cr@p, but this was fresh and tasty:
20140803_111357.jpg

Since we've been back, with no groceries and being busy at work, it's been take-out/delivery all week. Whataburger, Tex-Mex, Wingstop, CFS. But I've been hungry enough that I'm halfway through it before I think about taking a pic, and by then it's too late...

Of course I'd miss the initial post. I assume that it isn't venomous once cooked lol.

Haha - yeah, it's not a serve-up-any-jellyfish thing, just certain select species. What's known as the "cannonball jellyfish" in the states is a popular one; their toxins are harmless to humans. Regardless, the stings are in the tentacles and you don't eat that part.

I've been distracted with some other stuff and haven't gotten around to posting the other Vegas meals. This was lunch the next day (Sat) at a Chinese food restaurant called Zine. Authentic dishes, but not really anything I can't get here.

Macau style roasted pork belly, similar to washi's lechon:
View attachment 99206

Nothing compares to Lechon!! now you got me salivating again!

I have bragged about this place before. Local Flavor in Eureka Springs Arkansas.

Awesome bloody marys
View attachment 99318

Pan seared tilapia with the fixins.
uploadfromtaptalk1407546010817.jpg

Had a little salad as well with in house dressing.

Kim had a pesto angel hair pasta dish w/a chicken. Pic is on her phone.

Never had a bad meal here or even so so. This place is fantastic!

Last edited:
stopped by the side of the road in the hood to see a guy with two BBQ pits going...

got me a rib plate for myself, a rib plate for the wife and a chicken plate for the kids....

dat purple drank tho !!!!!

aCH21y.jpg

Back