• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's the deal with VR28?

"VR" stands for "Violet Rust". They were experimenting with different lens combinations and chanced upon this one. Oakley liked it so they made it an official lens, dubbing it the "VR" because of the mixture of colors used to achieve it.

So it transitions from almost transparent in low light conditions to almost opaque in bright conditions?

No, it does not transition at all. The VR28 is a high contrast lens best used for indirect bright light. It makes warm colors (red, orange, yellow) pop without muting cool colors too terribly.

Vr28 is the most versatile lens in my opinion. I use it for driving, biking, cross country skiing, etc. It's great since it's not too dark, yet it's not too light. Like others have said, the VR28 and the VR28 BI are pretty different. I think the Vr28 has much less of a mirror than the iridium, which would make sense. I haven't had too much experience with the non Black Iridium coated version, but it's probably just as good. The OO Black and Grey Polarized lenses are also like these.

Standard, uncoated, unpolarized VR28 is best (to me, a very light sensitive Rustpot) for a day where big puffy clouds block only the direct sun. The contrast in VR plays much better in sunlight.

I agree with the many that VR28 BI and VR28 BIP are some of the best overall lenses available. OO BIP is giving them a run for their money, though.

Never owned a VR28 lens, but I'm picking up a pair of Gen. 1 Juliet Ti-O2/VR-28 so I guess I'll find out soon enough what all the fuss is about! :biggrin:

I love it in my flaks and MPH Dogs....I was told the VR was Vermillion.....hmmm either way its not for very bright light but an underrated lens to be sure...I dont wear polarized but i believe the Polar version cuts a ton more light out but I like the regular one a lot Come to think of it I like the Rust frame a lot which doesnt get a lot of lovea while back it was in Pups everywhere for 30-50 dollars( the rust frame) I got my MD for 29.99 with VR 28 at holiday time

I love it in my flaks and MPH Dogs....I was told the VR was Vermillion.....hmmm either way its not for very bright light but an underrated lens to be sure...I dont wear polarized but i believe the Polar version cuts a ton more light out but I like the regular one a lot Come to think of it I like the Rust frame a lot which doesnt get a lot of lovea while back it was in Pups everywhere for 30-50 dollars( the rust frame) I got my MD for 29.99 with VR 28 at holiday time

That price is INSANE, best I can do is $55 US on eBay, seriously considering snagging 2 rust/vr28 if no one responds to my WTB

It was on 6pm a while back Also got 4 pups and 2 Gascan smalls for 29.99 eachand Shadow camo/G30 for 39.99..Ill never get that lucky again i'd grab em at 55 another 6 months U will see em on Ebay for 100 probably

Honestly i would say they may not cut it in bright sunlight driving but still a unique colorway

Back