• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What's wrong with my face?? And do Radarlocks/Fast Jackets hurt?

JacketFan

Oakley Beginner
By what's wrong with my face I mean what can you tell me about my face based on how certain glasses fit. Also my face is in the bigger size, my hat size is around 60 (or 7 1/2) and my nose is European with a defined nose bridge but it's not wide/big nor is it flat, there is something definitely there.

There is nothing worse than sunglasses you pay a lot for and they don't fit well, trust me I've been there and it ate me up inside to retire a pair of glasses after just a few months of struggling with them.

With Oakley these days it seems as if they fit in one of two categories and there is usually no gray area in fit: They either hug my nose/nose bridge perfectly and feel very comfortably, or when I push the earstems where they go back enough, the nose part of the sunglasses don't touch my nose or just hover right in front of the nose bridge and I can wiggle it up and down and it never feels secure. I always find my ears unconsciously tensing up to hold the glasses up. So annoying. They will usually fit lower on my nose like if I tilt them down but I hate that feeling.

So I went to try on some glasses again today and found that
in lifestyle glasses: Holbrooks fit but Jupiters don't, Fuel Cells, Antix and Hijinx fit but Batwolfs, Gascans and Crankcase didn't. It's just weird because it's like in each family they just seem like they're so similar yet feel so different.
in active: Fives didn't fit but Bottle Rocket did (not sure what category or sex those are). It's been a while since I tried them but I believe Straight Jacket (the newest version) fit well and I know the previous Straight Jacket fit well as well.
in sport: Radars, Radarlocks and Fast Jackets fit like a dream. The rubber nose just fits so well and hugs my nose. Jawbones had the hover nose thing and didn't fit well. I didn't actually want to like the Fast Jacket but they are bigger than Flak/Half Jackets and just fit so well; they actually fit like Radars. The Flak and Half Jacket 2.0 fit 'okay' they were the only ones that were in between fits. The nose pieces touched my nose but they didn't hug them perfectly. I wanted to love the HJ2 too.

Also RayBan Predator 2.0 (RB2027) fit perfectly as well.

So does anyone else have a similar thing going on with their face?

Now I think I'm going to get either Radarlocks or Fast Jackets but something I noticed with the Radar family that the back part of the ear stems kind of dug in while being slipped on or off, kind of minor pain (I mean the slightest bit of pain) but I'm wondering, is that something that happens just when I slip them on or do they dig in and hurt after wearing them for a while?

Sounds to me like you're just a normal person having the normal problem of wanting every Oakley to fit perfect and some do and some don't. :smile:

Sounds to me like you're just a normal person having the normal problem of wanting every Oakley to fit perfect and some do and some don't. :smile:

+1 to this.

I would bet that every single member here has at least one frame in mind that they wish they suited more, or that fitted more comfortably. Others will have a long list.

The Pit Boss is right up there on mine. Awesome frame, but I was gutted when I took £££ to the store and tried them on. They just grip like a vice behind my ears far too much for comfort. GAAAAH!!!

I'm wondering if glasses with less overall curve fit my face better? Has what I said about frames that don't fit indicated that, as in are those frames the ones that tend to be rounder?

Do the Radars/Radarlocks cause pain in the back of the earstems?

By the way, it sounds to me from your description that the width of your head might be in the temples (mine is a bit like that too), and therefore sunglasses with straight arms do not fit quite as well.

Look for frames with more of a curve to the earstem (when you look down on them from above) and you should be fine, as the curvature will go around your temples and the glasses will fit correctly in the Oakley 'three-point fit'.

EDIT - It seems you had the same idea as I was typing this!

I'm wondering if glasses with less overall curve fit my face better? Has what I said about frames that don't fit indicated that, as in are those frames the ones that tend to be rounder?

Do the Radars/Radarlocks cause pain in the back of the earstems?

The curvature is the key, imho.

I have tried Radars/locks on and there is enough flexibility in the frame for them to be comfortable.

By the way, it sounds to me from your description that the width of your head might be in the temples (mine is a bit like that too), and therefore sunglasses with straight arms do not fit quite as well.

Look for frames with more of a curve to the earstem (when you look down on them from above) and you should be fine, as the curvature will go around your temples and the glasses will fit correctly in the Oakley 'three-point fit'.

EDIT - It seems you had the same idea as I was typing this!

You're right they seem to be the ones with straighter arms. Definitely a wider head/temples since a lot of frames look too narrow on my face. Juliet's fit well too

Yeah- This ^. I have a smaller head, and as badly as I want to wear the Radars and the Fast Jacket, really only the Fives Squared, and Flak Jackets fit me. Half Jackets too. All the other awesome stuff I don't get to play with :( I even bought the Fast Jackets when they came out. Had to sell them - Bummer.

Back