• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

When First Starting Your Collection Do Boxes Matter?

Depends on what pair they are honestly... If they are a normal pair in a easily obtainable color I wold say box doesn't matter, but if it is a limited pair that is rare to obtain I will always buy the pair that has the box unless it is ridiculously marked down.

I guess I got lucky not knowing then. When I purchased my pair at a Quiet Flight store inside Universal Orlando, they did bring out a new box unopened and broke the seal in front of me, so I knew it was the correct pair original from Oakley, which was nice. I did keep the box and bag, so I will try to hold onto those, although I suspect it was a pretty generic box, with just the HDO logo on it for the polarized glasses.

Depends on what pair they are honestly... If they are a normal pair in a easily obtainable color I wold say box doesn't matter, but if it is a limited pair that is rare to obtain I will always buy the pair that has the box unless it is ridiculously marked down.
Good point

I guess I got lucky not knowing then. When I purchased my pair at a Quiet Flight store inside Universal Orlando, they did bring out a new box unopened and broke the seal in front of me, so I knew it was the correct pair original from Oakley, which was nice. I did keep the box and bag, so I will try to hold onto those, although I suspect it was a pretty generic box, with just the HDO logo on it for the polarized glasses.
One thing I must stress to you. If you ever get a pair where the tape is unbroken don't be happy and keep it in the box just cause it's unopened...the store MUST open the box and verify the CORRECT pair is inside the box before they sell it to you. If they don't you SHOULD make sure you do it AT THE STORE! Trust me when I say mistakes happen inside the warehouse when they pack items.

Boxes are important, and I get a kick when I get one in mint shape. That being said, say you are collecting X-metals they are no longer produced, the amount of collectors is increasing daily. It tends to be a sellers market so being after complete pairs with box and coin means you are going to pay top dollar. Now it's up to the individual collector do you want get random pairs without box or pay a premium pair for a mint/complete set...

Somewhat of a quality vs quantity

Sometimes you can score a pair without the box, and get the box at a later time.

The box matters exactly as much as you want it to. Like people have said, if you're trying to turn these into an investment (which is probably a really bad idea - remember Beanie Babies and people that "invested" in those?), then you'll probably be able to sell them for more if you have the box and paperwork. However, if you're collecting because you simply like Oakley glasses and paraphernalia, then do whatever the hell makes you happy!
I have the boxes for most of the pairs I purchased new, but only because I thought it would be cool to have them all stacked together. But if the boxes were suddenly destroyed, I can't say I'd be distraught over any of them.

Back