• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

When Is A Deal Not A Deal?

jk-27

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
I was hoping to write a thread with a new deal for members, but it turns out it's not exactly as advertised.

An Oakley dealer (who I will keep nameless for fear of libel), advertised that they were giving away a free case and lens cleaning kit with Oakley Radar purchases. Sounds like a deal so I bought a pair. They arrived today, and although the Radars were boxed and came with their standard case, there was no additional case, just the lens cleaning kit. I emailed their customer services to ask where the free case was only to get a reply to say the case they arrived in was the free case. Now, I've bought from them before, and other dealers, and Radars always come with a case. I've never known a pair or brand new Radars that don't come with a case right? But no, according to customer services, and I quote "The free case that is advertised is what we send the glasses in so you should have the glasses a case and the cleaning kit."

Bulls*it, that's like a supermarket trying to sell jam by saying it comes with a free jar. I pointed this out to them, only to be told "Not all glasses do come with a case, so it has been noted that a free case is included." Not only that but in the email they got my name wrong. They didn't mispell it, they made up a new name for me, they called me Paul when my name is Jonathan and it says so at the bottom of every email I sent them.

Moral of the story, always double check a deal before buying. Cuntz.

I was hoping to write a thread with a new deal for members, but it turns out it's not exactly as advertised.

An Oakley dealer (who I will keep nameless for fear of libel), advertised that they were giving away a free case and lens cleaning kit with Oakley Radar purchases. Sounds like a deal so I bought a pair. They arrived today, and although the Radars were boxed and came with their standard case, there was no additional case, just the lens cleaning kit. I emailed their customer services to ask where the free case was only to get a reply to say the case they arrived in was the free case. Now, I've bought from them before, and other dealers, and Radars always come with a case. I've never known a pair or brand new Radars that don't come with a case right? But no, according to customer services, and I quote "The free case that is advertised is what we send the glasses in so you should have the glasses a case and the cleaning kit."

Bulls*it, that's like a supermarket trying to sell jam by saying it comes with a free jar. I pointed this out to them, only to be told "Not all glasses do come with a case, so it has been noted that a free case is included." Not only that but in the email they got my name wrong. They didn't mispell it, they made up a new name for me, they called me Paul when my name is Jonathan and it says so at the bottom of every email I sent them.

Moral of the story, always double check a deal before buying. Cuntz.

yeah all sport performance pairs come with a case by default. damn bastards.

You're totally correct. I tried buying jam without the jar once - what a sticky mess!

"that's like a supermarket trying to sell jam by saying it comes with a free jar"
This should become a classic phrase over time.

You might as well call them out for this, nothing wrong with you accusing them of scamming, sounds like a scammer to me!

Such a kind of deal needs a lot of humor.
So I would send another email, asking how to wear the shades without ears. There are no instructions inside the free box.

Worded to trip u up!...had it happen once as well. It seems like a free case would cost them less than bad p.r. Business just ain't what it used to be when the customer was always right. "Word" them back that your Oakley rep told you there were 12 pairs to a case...and you only got one.

I got contacted today by their customer services rep after I sent a very sarcastic email. He basically said the reason their site promotes a free case is that many people were ordering a pair not thinking they came with a case and then ordered a case separately only to find they then had two cases when they received them and were then sending the second case back. This was causing them to spend a lot of time processing returns so they decided to advertise the free case to stop people unnecessarily buying the second case only to send it back. I think that's just more BS.

Back