• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

When Is Enough Actually Enough?

FuelCellForce

Oakley Beginner
As collectors, I'm sure we've all been put into a position where there is a pair or two that we desire, and do whatever possible to acquire that certain pair. However I'm also aware that there are times that we spend what we can't afford in pursuit of a certain pair or pairs. Whether it's in terms of a dollar amount, or time spent. There are also life circumstances that get in the way as well, like say losing a job, whether it be leaving/losing a regular job or leaving Oakley itself.

Everyone has either had or could have a point in which they stop collecting? Is there any circumstances in which enough is enough? Or when you feel like collecting has to be put on hold indefinitely until you figure out everything?

I came to this point about a month or two ago, when I had numerous bills to pay. Being in college, you are definitely on a fixed income, so I had to put it where it was most necessary. That 3 weeks ago. I probably wont be able to get any for a while after paying for summer school classes :sad:

I'm kind of at that point. There is one more pair I've agreed to purchase and after that I'll be taking a brake for awhile to save up for a much larger purchase. But after that I'll be right back in the swing of things. :smile:

What I like about this is taking a break doesn't mean I'll miss out on anything, just means something might be harder to get a little later.
The only way to truly stop being an Oakley collector would be to sell your collection.

Hmm, well, as a student I don't have that much money to spend. However, I always keep watching closely all auctions and local sites. And when the pair that I am looking for pops up at the right price, I jump on it.

For me it is for a big part also the game of getting stuff at the right price. And sometimes I can indeed not afford any new ones, then I also just don't buy. But selling is most of the times not the case, because I feel too much attached to my collection.

I've come to this point now. There's really nothing out there that I want and my last few purchases have been disapointing. So I unless there is something I need to finish a set Im not looking to purchase anything new.

Hmm, well, as a student I don't have that much money to spend. However, I always keep watching closely all auctions and local sites. And when the pair that I am looking for pops up at the right price, I jump on it.

For me it is for a big part also the game of getting stuff at the right price. And sometimes I can indeed not afford any new ones, then I also just don't buy. But selling is most of the times not the case, because I feel too much attached to my collection.

My thoughts exactly. The collecting urge doesn't really go away, it's just that the price you can pay declines, making the hunt that much harder, but also the reward that much greater. The game doesn't really stop, it just becomes harder to play x)

My purchases are driven by price. There's nothing that I don't have that I REALLY want. There are alot of items I am keeping an eye out for though. When I find something I like at a GREAT price, I buy it. Otherwise, i'm content with what I have.

I'm a bit older than I imagine most of the membership here is. I've been out of college for 5 years now (and that's after being in for 7 years). I know it's tough to hold out while you are in college, but if you can, you will be glad you did. Having tons of student loans to pay after you graduate SUCKS. I was lucky that I was able to save and pay for the majority of my education, however my wife was not. She had to borrow the ENTIRE 5 years of school. Now we pay $750 a month for her student loans, and that's going to be for 18 more WONDERFUL years.

My purchases are driven by price. There's nothing that I don't have that I REALLY want. There are alot of items I am keeping an eye out for though. When I find something I like at a GREAT price, I buy it. Otherwise, i'm content with what I have.

I'm a bit older than I imagine most of the membership here is. I've been out of college for 5 years now (and that's after being in for 7 years). I know it's tough to hold out while you are in college, but if you can, you will be glad you did. Having tons of student loans to pay after you graduate SUCKS. I was lucky that I was able to save and pay for the majority of my education, however my wife was not. She had to borrow the ENTIRE 5 years of school. Now we pay $750 a month for her student loans, and that's going to be for 18 more WONDERFUL years.

Ouch, sorry man, 18 years? what did she go to school for? lol wonderful years.

For me, it's not as hard since there's only a few frames i can wear or want to wear. I lost a fwe to trades or selling to pay bills i didn't expect. I hope to get some of those back, some i dont' care about having them back in my collection.
Im pretty happy at my small collection of 25 pairs. there's a few i'd like but the prices are ridiculous. :(

I've bought a few on impulse that I kind of regret, but I buy everything with the intention of wearing, so that's stopped me from buying a lot of pretty sweet pairs that wouldn't do anything but sit on a shelf.

Right now there aren't really any pairs I want to go after. I'll snatch up some ebay deals here and there, and troll around the exchange section here to find a deal to fill a gap in my collection, but I'm not buying myself into the poor house or choosing between Oakleys and rent.

I've missed a few great deals because I didn't have the money. In college I bought 2 pairs and a few lenses based solely on function, most of my money went to ammo and food/rent.

Ouch, sorry man, 18 years? what did she go to school for? lol wonderful years.

She double-majored. Elementary education and childhood development. She now has a masters in each discipline, which makes her one of the top paid teachers in her district. She develops new curriculum for the schools in addition to everyday teaching duties. So her pay very generously offsets the cost of her schooling. Still it's impossible to overlook what we COULD be doing with an extra $750 a month. That's a car payment on a VERY nice car.

Back