• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which Lenses (if Not OEM)?

chimera

Oakley Beginner
Vermont
Hi guys, which lens brand do you use/trust if you're not going OEM? In the past I bought some Visionary Lenses in Emerald via eBay for my Plasma Juliets and I liked them, but I didn't treat them very well (my J's are loose as hell so became my every-day sunglasses) and now I'm looking to get the Juliets refurbed by X-Man (once he's back from hiatus) and pick up some new lenses at the same time. I noticed that VL are no longer selling on eBay, did they change names or is there another brand you would use that don't break the bank?

I believe that there are a couple of forum members here that custom cut lenses for the x-metals from oem Oakley lenses... Meaning they use a pair of oem donor lenses. I think that Dr. Chop and InfiniteHero both do lenses, and from what I have read they are exactly like oem Oakley quality and fit wise. I may be out of place but I think you can pm either one and they would probably help you out. I personally wouldn't put aftermarket lenses in, but rather have one of the 2 members mentioned to cut me some lenses. Hope this helps.

Don't do it! I'm just kiddin'. If you absolutely want to go with aftermarket cheap lenses... I've bought Exovista and Walleva lenses in the past. They work and are cheap. They offer colors that you can't get from Oakley. The overall lens quality is lacking, but you get what you pay for. I also have a set of Linegear lenses, which are a little more expensive. I would recommend trying to go OEM if you can.

Hi guys, which lens brand do you use/trust if you're not going OEM? In the past I bought some Visionary Lenses in Emerald via eBay for my Plasma Juliets and I liked them, but I didn't treat them very well (my J's are loose as hell so became my every-day sunglasses) and now I'm looking to get the Juliets refurbed by X-Man (once he's back from hiatus) and pick up some new lenses at the same time. I noticed that VL are no longer selling on eBay, did they change names or is there another brand you would use that don't break the bank?

I would rather be blind than wear aftermarket lenses. Do your eyes a favor and go for donor lenses. Having an after market lens on Oakley is almost the same having an aftermarket frame with Oakley lenses.

Either way Oakley frames already breaks the bank. Invest on Oakley lenses.

Just my 2 Oakley Penny.

Is there a thread describing the "cut lens" process? Where do the lenses come from (which Oakleys are best for donors?)

Is there a thread describing the "cut lens" process? Where do the lenses come from (which Oakleys are best for donors?)
You don't have to get lenses cut... Take a look at Oakley's website for the frame you want lenses for. The main reason people get lenses cut is if they want a special color that Oakley doesn't offer for their specific frame. As you mentioned in your OP, you wanted something cheaper. If you go the custom cut route, it will be more expensive. Unless you want a different color for your Juliet, your best route is to order an OEM set of lenses.

I really like the idea of almost white lenses (like the Walleva titanium) in x-metal black Juliet frames, with either white or grey rubber. I don't think Oakley make that color so it's either Walleva or something else....

I've tried VL on my Romeo, they are junk. Your better off using scratched and cracked oem, turning your head a little and looking out of the undamaged spots.

I've tried VL on my Romeo, they are junk. Your better off using scratched and cracked oem, turning your head a little and looking out of the undamaged spots.

Interesting, my OEM ice iridiums turned to crap after about 2 years (coating came off the inside of one lens) whereas my emerald polarized VLs have actually lasted a lot longer, with only external scratches from misuse.

The only time I have experienced, (in the last 20 plus years) what you described about your ice iridium's, is when I was not properly cleaning them on a regular basis.

Back