• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which One Would You Get

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
I usually don't post threads like this because tastes vary so much that it ends up being a wash....but in this case its a more objective decision (I think).

Given the general belief now that the X Metal line is on life support, if you could pick only ONE of the following pieces to purchase and store...not wear but store as a collectible only...which one would you pick? Which one do you think would have the most value BNIB in say, 7 or 8 years? My collection is just about filled out in terms of what I want to wear, but I'd like to pick up one or maybe two more pairs before the end of 2012 and before prices leap just to sock away. I picked these because I would want something I don't already have and might actually wear.

Juliet X Metal/Ruby

Juliet Plasma/Ice Polarized

X Squared Polished/VR28 Black Iridium Polarized

Not sure if they are saying ice polarized lenses are discontinued but those might be your best bet if that was the case.

Not sure if they are saying ice polarized lenses are discontinued but those might be your best bet if that was the case.

Yeah I've been leaning that way A LOT lately. It's not my favorite lens frame combo because its the most "vanilla" or "everyman's" X Metal...but that lens was discontinued as a replacement option last year because they stopped manufacturing it and the glass itself was only in production until the stock of lenses ran out which I think it now has.

Since it's being stored, i'd also go with Plasma/Ice polarized.

If it were me, i'd go with x-metal/ruby if the ruby was a deep red ruby.

x-squared looks so funky.

I honestly don't think prices for X Metals will "skyrocket". I think that's just the collectors way of inflating the current market price or even the future prices in the used marketplace. If you think about it, the only discontinued frames that have insane prices are the R1, a few of the Ichiro juliets, and the X Metal Ruby Penny. Everything else can be had for below MSRP.

If i'm not mistaken, the R1 was recalled due to the stress cracks in the lenses, correct? This IMO is one of the main reasons it's so collectible, aside from it being the first X Metal.

In addition, Oakley isn't stopping production of the X Metal line. They've just figured out a cheaper way to do it. It doesn't necessarily mean the Juliet and X Squared won't exist.

I'm actually excited to see what's in store for 2013. Oakley has been giving little hints here and there about cool new stuff that's coming out. Innovation is slowly coming back.

Since it's being stored, i'd also go with Plasma/Ice polarized.

If it were me, i'd go with x-metal/ruby if the ruby was a deep red ruby.

x-squared looks so funky.

the wise man speaks! i agree with Yoshi on all counts. X-metal ruby is a classic combo, and personally if i didnt already have JulieX, I would get that. The plasma frame i like to stay away from, but the IIP lens i would like to get also if i didnt already have.

Xsquared i dont mind, but its not a classic like the Juliet is. although, i have a XM/Ruby Xsquared that i think is pretty badass. Xmetal is imo the best finish to show off metals in

I honestly don't think prices for X Metals will "skyrocket". I think that's just the collectors way of inflating the current market price or even the future prices in the used marketplace. If you think about it, the only discontinued frames that have insane prices are the R1, a few of the Ichiro juliets, and the X Metal Ruby Penny. Everything else can be had for below MSRP.

If i'm not mistaken, the R1 was recalled due to the stress cracks in the lenses, correct? This IMO is one of the main reasons it's so collectible, aside from it being the first X Metal.

In addition, Oakley isn't stopping production of the X Metal line. They've just figured out a cheaper way to do it. It doesn't necessarily mean the Juliet and X Squared won't exist.

I'm actually excited to see what's in store for 2013. Oakley has been giving little hints here and there about cool new stuff that's coming out. Innovation is slowly coming back.

was there not news of all current Xmetal models being discontinued in march? and a replacement line in 2013?

Current X metals, maybe. But the style may or may not go away. They may make the same styles using the new process.

Think about what Oakley has been putting out lately. Frogskins re-release, The new Twenties as a throwback to the original. Rumors of a new OTT? I feel Oakley is returning to what it once was.

Back