• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Which Would You Buy And Why?

Romeo or XX

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oakmeister

I should Work at Oakley
at the end of this voting, I hope to get a clear advantage/disadvantage between the two.

I never liked the Romeo, and like the half X, it looks like it doesnt belong. I am all for the XX.

Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to wear them I like the fit of the XX better. If you want a cooler look pair of shades then R1. In the end I would go with the R1, they seem harder to come by.

If I can turn back time,I will buy all Romeo1all frame color and then XX x-metal at #4
...#2 Pitboss 1
#3 Juliet

This is the same question I've been asking myself all year, knowing that I'll be looking to buy when my tax return comes in.

For me personally I view these as the pros and cons of both (Just IMO here, so do your research)

Romeo-

Pros:
No flex coupler, can be user serviced easily
Large frame, better vertical coverage than XX if they fit you
Stronger resale market, generally speaking

Cons:
Requires extra care when taking on/off to avoid lens cracks, lenses sometimes won't fit without modification (even OEM)
Generally more expensive by $100 or so than XX, depending on colorway/condition
Difficult to wear all day for some people
Out of production longer, harder to find OEM replacement parts

XX-

Pros:
More OEM colorways to choose from than R1
More in the market so generally less $$$ than R1
OEM lenses still available in limited colorways

Cons:
Flex coupler means most people will need to send them out for tune-ups
Prices can vary greatly depending on colorway

For me right now the decision is easy. I'll be looking for an XX because I can still buy lenses direct from Oakley. While custom cuts are always an option being able to buy direct and only pay once makes much more sense to me. Add to that the 24k and TiO2 colorways for the XX and that seals the deal for me. For now at least, we have great forum members that can tune up an XX no problem for even less than what Oakley would charge and you'll have a pair that will be good as new with no worries of cracking a custom cut set of lenses.

In the end both are great pairs, you just have to decide which one fits your lifestyle better if you aren't able to get both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying to wear or collect?

Wear: Whichever fits better. Or makes you look more badass. Your fingerprint.

Collect: There are limited edition Romeos that are huge $, but often available if you want to pay the cost; if you were trying to collect a pair, get a XX Plasma/Ice. More rare than hen's teeth. They'll be spendy too.

Latest Posts

Back