• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who Should Replace Shawn White as Oak-Lux's Main "Thing That Is On Everything"?

As someone who both collects and sells the product, it's pretty clear to me why SW is the poster child.

#1 - What is the average age of the people on this forum?
#2 - When did you start wearing Oakley?
#3 - What % of 15-20 year olds are wearing Oakley?

Holbrook to me has been the most important Oakley to come out in the past 5 years. Prior to that, there was nothing for that kid to rock. That kid didn't associate with the brand and didn't see Oakley as cool. When you're the biggest and the best you run into the problem that the younger generation is going to intentionally avoid your brand and product. They go towards Spy, VZ, Dragon, Electric, etc, etc, etc. The tough thing for that kid is that once they try on Holbrook, see the colour ops (including the 4 dozen different SW ones), they are all of the sudden pumped about Oakley... it's not what they thought it was.

You all know that once Oakley hooks you, you're in.

It's crucial to continue to capture that younger audience and create a loyal customer as young as you can.

So to me, SW is simply and investment in the future with huge returns right now.

Who else is there? I don't like the guy either but part of why I don't like him is because he's so freaking good at everything he does (and knows it). Same as Travis Pastrana.

I would love to see them grow with Rory as he's young, fun, and excellent at his trade.

Looking at the mainstream sports, who is there? The key is to have someone that isn't just a good athlete. They have to have some sort of IT factor.
Baseball - ?? Nobody really there. The only guy I could think of is Brett Lawrie. Dude's insane good for his age, will be a dominant player in the league, and has an insane passion for the game. But he plays in Canada and is Canadian so that won't work.
Basketball - Same thing. Can't think of a guy that fits the brand. Maybe Shane can finally get a signature rather than wearing Snake Belly's and OTT.
Football - Not sure football is where they're trying to market their stuff
Hockey - hahaha nobody cares about hockey except me.

"Who else is there?" - is exactly the question I am asking.

If it needs to be a sports personality, then it should be a globally known sportsman/person for maximum effect.
And none of the guys you've mentioned are that.

Personally I don't think it would harm the brand to have ambassadors from the movie and music world up there with their sports types.
After all, they could market the Lifestyle and Active categories.
It's just finding someone cool to do it.
If Oakley need to run some focus groups <shudder> on who is cool, then do it.

4615097074_3bd57761c6_o.jpg

I would personally like to see Mark Cavendish become the poster "child" for Oakley. He's 27 years old and him and Steve Blick are joined at the hip. If Oakley wants someone who's amongst the ranks of Lance Armstrong then who better to represent?

There was also word of a Mark Cavendish (and Fabian Cancellara and Cadel Evans) Signature Series, but I haven't heard much on them since October :eek:(

I wholeheartedly agree with Oakster.

I think the world of traditional sports (baseball, basketball, etc...) is kind of taking a backseat in younger generations to "action" sports like snowboarding, skateboarding, wakeboarding, FMX, Moto-X, etc. Who better to embody that image that a man who has won Olympic Gold in Snowboarding and several X-games medals in both snowboarding and skateboarding. As a person who skateboards, wakeboards, and used to ride dirt bikes, nothing in Oakley's line in the early 2000's even remotely appealed to me. I started buying up Spy's as they had a huge sponsor presence at motocross events, wakeboarding events, etc.... Everybody I associated with sure wasn't wearing Oakley's. It was all Spy, Electric, Dragon, etc.... At one time I had over 30 pairs of Spy's and I still am a huge supporter of their product to this day. However, now with the Holbrook's, Jupiters, and of course the Frogskin rereleases I finally think that Oakley has that "cool" appeal with younger people that it had 15 years ago. It's made younger people excited about the brand again.

Perhaps my opinion of action sports is higher than what the demographic really is and Im just clouded by the people I personally associate with. Any way, that's just my 2¢.

I agree with Oakster. However, I had never even heard of the guy until I saw him associated with Oakley.

In my view there's a lot a nuances in this matter. Herbs is right when he says that it should be a worldwide famous person. The thing is, there isn't one that can be associated with the Oakley "way of life" and is famous (and I mean really famous) all around the world at the same time. Except for one or two surfers.

Speaking mainly about Europe, this is a place that gives very little attention to the kind of sports and sports-persons we usually find Oakley associated to. And that complicates matters. The only people I can see with Oakleys on their faces and that are famous all around the world are F1 drivers (and even so, I can't pick a specific one). And even those aren't bad-ass enough in some cases.

Back