• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Who's got both the Split Jacket and Fast Jacket? Comparisons? Preferences?

Yes but finding time to be anywhere but home or work is a challenge and I'm not a fan of the local stores. I've tried the Jawbones and they look horrid on me...I want something I wouldn't mind wearing out to the store for a quick shopping trip etc). I've tried on the Split Jacket and it looks MUCH better and would concur with Rustspot's comments on it vs. the Straight but I've read comments that the Fast is "equivalent to the Radar Range" in size which I thought odd because the Radar wrap annoys me, sweeps back way too far for my taste. I would hope the Fast is bigger than the Flak because I personally feel the Flak frame is too small and the fit is odd on my nose (too high)---kind of hoping the Fast is a tad bigger than the Flak with a little more wrap and larger frame width.

Might have to make a trip to try the Fast side by side with the Split.

I've never worn my Fast Jacket's out, but from what i remember, you pretty much have it. Jawbones fit ok on me. They're a bit bigger, but i can wear them. Split Jackets fit me much better. I use Flaks weekly, but prefer the fit of the Half's. From what i remember, the Fast Jackets were wider and taller vs Flaks. Can't remember how the wrap was.

The only reason i have a couple pairs of Fast's is because #1) i got a pair for cheap when they were first released and i really liked the idea of the switch-lock, and #2) one of them is the elusive chrome frame :)

I think they look cooler than they fit. I've never seen anyone wear them out and have never seen Fast's on runners/cyclists. Usually Halfs, Flaks, and Radars. If you're just going to use them to run to the market, a sport frame might not be a good choice. Go with the Splits.

I've never worn my Fast Jacket's out, but from what i remember, you pretty much have it. Jawbones fit ok on me. They're a bit bigger, but i can wear them. Split Jackets fit me much better. I use Flaks weekly, but prefer the fit of the Half's. From what i remember, the Fast Jackets were wider and taller vs Flaks. Can't remember how the wrap was.

The only reason i have a couple pairs of Fast's is because #1) i got a pair for cheap when they were first released and i really liked the idea of the switch-lock, and #2) one of them is the elusive chrome frame :)

I think they look cooler than they fit. I've never seen anyone wear them out and have never seen Fast's on runners/cyclists. Usually Halfs, Flaks, and Radars. If you're just going to use them to run to the market, a sport frame might not be a good choice. Go with the Splits.

Which I did. Noticed the new add on oakleyvault.com of the Polished Black with Sky Blue, OO BIP for $107 shipped (they're even running a promo where orders under $100 are shipped free). That's a stupid price-one of the best overall values on a model I've ever seen on the Vault; even through mycokerewards.com or ebay this model is $150 at its lowest and for $107 getting a case, one of Oakley's best lenses (OO BIP) and the extra HI Yellow and endless supplies of accessory lenses on eBay for as low as $20? Duh. Thanks to all for the input.

That Split J model is on the Vault for $99.

Great deal!!! Jawbone and Split Jacket are the same size, if the SJ is smaller, only very miniscule. I had SJ, I thought they were smaller when I ordered throught Oakley, but they weren't to my disappointment. I would try it on first before getting it.

The SJ lens is like 3mm shorter top to bottom. The good thing is that small difference makes customizing much easier, especially considering that the vents on the Jawbone are bad ass looking, but the SJ vents are just meh. I shaved down a Jawbone lens for my SJ and it looks good.

I've had the fast jackets...and I have a few split jackets....I thought the fast jackets fit almost like the flak jackets....not much difference...good coverage except at the bottom of the orbital...and the split jackets fit wonderfully I think...great coverage and not quite as big as the jawbones...good luck with ya purchase!!

Which I did. Noticed the new add on oakleyvault.com of the Polished Black with Sky Blue, OO BIP for $107 shipped (they're even running a promo where orders under $100 are shipped free). That's a stupid price-one of the best overall values on a model I've ever seen on the Vault; even through mycokerewards.com or ebay this model is $150 at its lowest and for $107 getting a case, one of Oakley's best lenses (OO BIP) and the extra HI Yellow and endless supplies of accessory lenses on eBay for as low as $20? Duh. Thanks to all for the input.

Good stuff! That is a great deal. Now if only they'd drop the price of the Infra Red frame with the VR28 Black Iridium, i'd be ordering one as well.

Great deal!!! Jawbone and Split Jacket are the same size, if the SJ is smaller, only very miniscule. I had SJ, I thought they were smaller when I ordered throught Oakley, but they weren't to my disappointment. I would try it on first before getting it.
I agree. Can't detect any diff between JB and SPlit J when wearing. But Split J seems abetter fit

I own a pair of both, and have to admit that my FJ's see more play than the SJ's.

FJ's:
- Lightweight
- Switchlock
- More lens options available (finally)
- Better fit on my head/face. In comparision to Flak's, more comfortable with slightly larger lens and wider frame, Flak's were to tight on my temples. In comparison to the SJ's, more comfortable and seemed to have slightly better coverage, wrap and peripheral vision. I'm also partial to the Half, Flak and Fast Jacket designs with the frameless orbitals on the bottom halves.

SJ's:
- Lightweight.
- Hinged pivot locks. A teeny, tiny more time consuming to replace lenses, compared to the FJ's IMHO.
- Less lens options available.
- Fitment is okay, but I needed to change the nose bombs to the larger ones for a better, more comfortable fit. With the small nb's, my eyelashes would touch the lenses.

I guess it all depends on what you plan on using these for...sports/outdoor activities, casual/recreational or extreme sports :dance3:. Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you decide!

Pretty good assessment. When I change lenses on the SJ, I don't use the switchlock. I just pop them in and out like I would any other full O matter frame. It's faster and easier. The switchlocks are just a gimmick.

Back