• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Are The Split Jackets Discontinued?

*[ghostText]

Oakley Enthusiast
I went to HQ yesterday and asked if they still have custom split jackets, they said that they are a discontinued line along with the jawbones. It looks like oakley is discontinuing most of its cool bad-ass designs.

Jawbones were discontinued because Oakley lost the rights to the name Jawbone. The current Racing Jacket is the same as the Jawbone, with the exception of the holes drilled in the end of the earstem for the strap, and larger, interchangeable icons. Jaws and Splits keep showing up on the Vault site, so you can at least pick them up pretty cheap.

I have no idea why they would discontinue the Split Jacket. My only guess is that RJs sell better than Splits. I think the main problem with Splits is that they don't have the agressive lines of the Jawbone. I always wished they would have made a Jawbone S instead; same frame with smaller lenses. That would have been perfect.

Would be surprising to think the Splits aren't selling well. I thought there was demand with less aggressive shape, though, with Switchlock tech. Then again, I don't see many Split Jacket wearers in person.

I've been holding back from the Jawbones at the Vault. Even if it took up a new name I'm convinced there's a decent chance of a redesign for next year too. I've also heard the complaint that there's less peripheral vision with them for sport use.

Overall I'd just want something a little more equal in aggressive lines about the orbitals and stems. That was my main gripe with the Jawbone/RJ is it's like the stems were a little too reserved compared too the orbitals. I'd think the Radarlock's "surge ports" would be adapted to future sport models.

I think the split jackets are a great frame. They should not be discontinued. I love mine especially since they look more casual and not sporty. The switchlock technology on them is great as being able to change the color lens for whatever you are feeling that day.

Why they didn't use the RJ/SJ switchlock metal bolt system in the Style Switch is beyond me. They've already got the parts on hand. Why not use them?

They're big. I know some cycling reviews complained about the RJ's peripheral vision. In general it's not something that functionally is ideal to be big. If you can make a mechanical component smaller (without sucking functionally), then better. The Style Switch accomplished making the look cleaner as it's aimed for the lifestyle crowd.

I mean don't get me wrong, they do look the business and open up more custom options. Best way to keep it is create a wider orbital to push it more rearward, but I'm not sure if it could close properly.

Split jackets are discontinued because they don't sell. Plain and simple. If they sold enough to justify making them, then they wouldn't be discontinued.

Back