• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Buy Unpolarized Glasses At All...?!

I have certain pairs that I use for driving and they are polarized most of the time. Then on weekends I rather pick a style, than a lens type. It doesnt matter if its polarised or not because Its main function on weekends is more fashionable than practical.
This is it for me. I have matte black, grey polarized Fuel Cells for everyday use and my one hour one-way commute, but the Eyepatch 2's in polished black/grey I will be replacing with a colored lens, likely unpolarized due to cost, that I can wear as more of a fashion piece. Will still be fine for most driving if need be as well.

If you ride a bike and have to use a helmet, polarized lenses will create a lot of optical distortions when you put down the visor. So,for riding I prefer non-polarized lenses.

I hate polarized lenses. They just mess my depth perception and judging distances gets a lot tougher. That's why I hate polarized for cycling or driving a car. That said there are some types of situation where polarized is a must have, like snow glare on a sunny day or sun reflecting from water.

Also some people report headaches while wearing polarized lenses, but never experienced this.

i have around 30 pairs of Oaks.. and only one pair is polarized. I PERSONALLY think polarized is overrated... i don't fish or race or hunt or any of that - for me, id rather have the extra colorway frames than pay the extra $$ for the polarized lenses. That being said, if I had a specific reason to have polarized lenses, I'd probably think differently. I could see them being useful during snowboarding, but to be honest, the H.I. Persimmon lenses I have now are way more than adequate.

When I'm outside around water all day then Polarized is a go to for me. However, I recently picked up a pair of regular Gascans with grey lenses for a knock-around pair. I really haven't noticed a huge difference between the Polarized and regular lenses.

The price differential is kinda large for polarized vs. Non polarized. For instance, 6pm.com has the MPH Jawbone for $60... I can only imagine the price of a polarized version. I'll deal with a non polarized version for $60. Sometimes, you can pay retail for polarized lens and get dirt cheap sunglasses and come out cheaper.

Wow, this thread turned out to be way more interesting than I had expected…! :)

Thanks guys, this is all helpful information…!

I guess for me it will be the same as for a few other commenters -- for activities like driving, cycling, hiking, boating etc. I'll probably stick with polarized and for everyday use and as a fashion accessory I will get a few regular non-polarized ones…

- MILE

Latest Posts

Back