• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why don't moderators immediately delete obvious sale fishers

lawman0210

Oakley Expert
I have notice several obvious attempts to solicit sales of Oakley's from new users claiming they don't know the value. Come on the first thing someone does is check e^&%. If you have a low serial number x000123 etc they are obviously worth something. I would think new users posting anything to what sounds like sales fishing should have the thread deleted. I want to buy a few pair listed but I am not attempting to communicate my desires to sellers until my time in probation is over. Can't moderators monitor "Pms" from new users seeking to sell and veterans trying to capitalize on the new user before there selling restraints are lifted?

Interesting point. I see it every now and then. The new person acts like they are just seeking a value, but then say they are selling. Next thing you know members are trying to scoop up the deal. Not sure it would be very friendly to any new members to just delete their threads though. Seems like it's more of an issue if the vet members are soliciting the sale.

We do try and monitor all threads everyday. But you guys could also help by either reporting the thread, or dropping anyone of us a PM pointing out the thread too.

Yeah I just thought it interesting how people can come up with a few awesome pairs of glasses that were just sitting around. The other thing I thought strange is most people who want to sell something like that would go to eB&^ and not take the time to sign up to a specific website to ask about value to sell on another website. Easily able to figure that out by just click on completed listing and see what they sell for.

It's a tricky line.

The limiting time restrictions are to prohibit new members from making sales threads and responding to other members' threads. The likelihood of a new member pulling a scam is unfortunately pretty high. The small time and post investment requires new members to show they'll stick around, maybe get involved a little bit, get some other questions answered, find features of the forum, post their stuff, etc.

This gives existing members a little bit of history to gauge the new member by, and hopefully forces the new member to see we're not just a forum for buying/selling and they'll hopefully stick around.

I've done a deal with a new guy before he could post in the exchange area. He had an old pair of M Frames he was looking for info on. It so happens he rather would have a newer pair. We made a trade and I got a Gen2 Slash for my collection and he got a Gen3 pair for wearing. He didn't come on here just fishing for a price though.

Should that have gone through a normal exchange thread? Nah. Lots of deals are made outside of exchange threads between members. Once you get into the exchange area you'll see "Deal Threads" where members simply post a transaction was made so they have a thread to use in leaving feedback.

Some of the more obvious fishing (phishing?) posts get corralled. Some result in a member getting a deal on an unsuspecting new member. Which is unfortunate. Some result in a member getting shafted. Which is also unfortunate. That's life. Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Yes I agree. That's for that very long and informative response. If you read the most recent thread about Fake Juliet's you will see I was the "bug" big time. You know the joke about "What's the last thin a bug see when he hits a windshield? Well if you know the answer then you know what I feel like. LOL

Great thread, I can completely see this point. If a member feels like a thread should not be posted by a new member, just copy and paste the URL into a PM to a moderator. They will review and warn the new member or delete it. I have been guilty of nabbing a pair from a newbie before. I also have set up buys for other members this way, even if I could have made a buck, which I didn't. Risk is all involved by doing this, and point taken on being maybe unfair. One way around, is for the newbie to pay for a 1 year membership (?20.00?), and all restrictions are lifted, and then no ads when viewing the page. I did it to help support the forum, but also would do it just to get rid of the stupid ads. The two times I did make a purchase or set up a buy, I realized after the fact, of pm'ing them, that they were that new. One bought the membership, so that ended well, and the other sold a IH Juliet to another member who is thrilled. All in all, fair by normal standards, but I couldn't pull one over because of someone being nieve. That makes you look bad in the end. Be fair with someone, and even if its a great deal price wise, the more knowledgable member can still be honest.

I trully feel most members are Fair, Reasonable, mostly honest, and willing to help someone out. Most of the times you can read posts, and see threads and tell who is very active, who is considerate, who is an ass, who is honest to a fault, and someone looking out for a newbies well being.

One item people just do not listen to members about, (there is a whole thread in the exchange for the Ruby Red Lenses) are these 1st Gen Ruby lenses. I have seen two pairs only that are real. Possibly one or so on the Bay, but hard to tell. Everyone who has purple in thier Rubies thinks it a Black Hawk Down lens. It is a Unicorn, as Beancooker put it "Someone is looking for a unicorn, grazing in a field of four leaf clover, maintained by leprechauns." Couldn't be better written.

Latest Posts

Back