• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why falling XMetal prices are bad.

Not quite sure what to make of this. Of course the super rare stuff would fetch higher selling prices. The Juliet has been relatively affordable from the looks of it... maybe demand: not much interest in a regular Juliet?

As a mostly casual observer on the forum, I've seen the XX drop in price...yay.

The R1 seems to be stubbornly high, some are selling frames only at astronomical prices... perhaps they are worth it.

I like @saulsaul's word, incestuous. Some of these frames are just going to and from the same people. When you combine that with the pricing, that keeps new blood out for sure. I know I'm not going hungry just so I can have a piece of history. But if people are willing to pay, I will just be without. Lol

Sent from Q's Note5

Since joining the X Metal club (around this last August) all I can say is that I was a fool not to buy XMetals at the store when I had a chance, everytime I wear one people either stare or give me a compliment on how cool they are :cool-20:. Previously, I had always been a O matter guy since they were obviously cheaper and had a more colorful look (had a Plate 24k and a straight jacket with blue flames as my first Oakleys), plus for some reason I didn't liked the idea of no having the O emblem on the frame (I wanted people to know I had Oakleys). Fast forward to today, and, yes, XMetals are still ridiculously expensive for sunglasses (specially back on the day for a highschool kid) but 3 months into the XM club, and I can see the quality and art which these were made of and the reason for their pricing. In just 3 months I've had 10 xmetals pass through my hands, and while I didn't kept them all, but each one of them was beautiful in their own way, even the beaters. Right now I'm not a big fan of the new models coming out (still love the goggles and brand in general) but speaking for sunglasses, I think I won't be buying anything from the store since the models lack the coolness factor they used to have, don't get me wrong, the lenses are still amazing and those new PRIZM models are off the hook, but I would rather spend my money in here with some awesome but old models than with the new plasticky ones. The only new one I'd buy would be the SF16-C if it ever comes out.
All in, I get what you are saying Saul, the XMetals are amazing, but I think the price is steep for people who are used to paying $300+ for crappy Raybans (or any other colthing brand) :headbang:, meaning that they are more "fashionable" these days and they are some sort of a status statement (I wear Dior/Raybans/etc = I'm wealthy). Oakleys are better in everyway, but just as with everything else in this world, not everyone will but the best, they'll buy what the other kid has so they can be "cool" together

Anything more than MSRP is a scam in my eyes ... a scam we do to ourselves out of greed ... and then do to the next and so on and so on!

The brand is almost completely diluted and has almost died out ... so as you said ... most people won't really care if they lose their value

I guess I'm happy because maybe I'll be able to afford a second pair one day.

Maybe it'll push sellers to lower their prices ...

All in all, if people are really saddened or upset by this devaluation, maybe they invested too much money in these artificially inflated frames ... nothing bought or sold on this Forum should ever be seen as an 'investment'.

I've gotten all of mine at about 60-70% off retail prices so the only thing I regret is not getting a few more X-metal Juliets so I wouldn't have to swap lenses in and out all the time..

So why would you expect 9,999 Jordan's to still sell at retail price?

Quality + scarcity + demand = price rises.

Greed = price rises

No one physically prevents a seller for selling at what he bought it for.

The first seller got greedy and wanted to make a profit (greed) ... the first buyer (second seller) got pissed he bought for more than he wanted and sold for even more...

Yadda yadda yadda

*insert Snowball effect here*

24K Juliets sell for stupid amounts of money!

I'll buy more whenever I see a good deal. People who think that paying "over retail" is bad have no clue what they're talking about. It's just ridiculous.

Do you really expect to pay $250 for an unused pair of Romeos, in original box, just because retail was $250 back in 1997? Have you ever heard of inflation? Have you ever heard of the concept of collecting?

Back