• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why falling XMetal prices are bad.

Right, people need money for the holidays so they list stuff. But people already blew their money on the holidays so they're not buying. Then prices drop because the people who need the money begin to need it more desperately. Great time to buy if you didn't already blow your wad.

:spiteful: I like blowing my wad

I have a few more pairs I want to add to my small group, so this news is good for me. They are some of the more money intensive pairs-Mars Crater, R1, XX Plasma. I also wanted to get some duplicate pairs i already have but with different lens options. I could get extra lenses and swap, but everybody knows the fastest reload is another gun. If i can pick up a few duplicate pairs for a better price than the original, ill get my moneys worth and use out of them.

MY PLAN IS WORKING!!!! bwahahahhaa they will all be mine-ish....

supply/demand but also keep in mind seasonality. there are several factors that draw collectors out and hopefully the passion for the iconic pinnacle of Oakley will continue...

or you will be staying tuned for a fire sale...

supply/demand but also keep in mind seasonality. there are several factors that draw collectors out and hopefully the passion for the iconic pinnacle of Oakley will continue...

Noooo...I want just one or two more lol

Sent from Q's Note5

download.jpg

Did somebody say Fire Sale?

Edit: If you know what this is from, youve wasted alot of time and it was worth it.

Last edited:
I have read this thread in full and I have to say that I am not a "collector" per se, I buy nice things and I use them. I don't see the point in buying an item to have it sit in a box/cabinet just to look at.

In saying all this I would never go and buy a serialized / matched box set to wear every day.

I live in Australia where prices for most things are stupid crazy. I first paid about $400 for my first pair of Juliets back in 1998ish.
Sadly these were destroyed in a car accident I had in 2002 (car caught on fire and destroyed everything except me :/ ).

I purchased my next pair of Juliets in 2004 out of the US as the prices including exchange rate were much more favourable than pricing here in AUST.

I am now on my 3rd pair of Juliets (which cost me $600AUD), and I am on the look out for more pairs. Not as a collector but as someone who just loves them so much that I am now afraid that they will disappear altogether and I will no long be able to get them anymore.

I thought this was the case a few years back when Oakley stopped making them and it drove me nuts that I had an expensive pair of glasses that I loved and as I thought at the time ( I now know better, Thanks Mark :D) no one could repair.

So for me the cheaper the price the better.

BUT!!! If you are a collector then this is different and doing if for the $$$$ I think you need to look at your market. As stated before everyone under the age of 35 will look at these and say they are too expensive ( not knowing their history or pedigree) or as my 18YO daughter says, they look old fashioned.

I am watching a collector from here in AUST who is selling what seems to be his entire collection on eBay, These are some nice Xmetals, all in pristine condition and some with matched boxes. However his pricing is IMO over the top. In some cases he has some Juliets for $2K,AUD. Way out of my price thats for sure. Most of them are sitting at $1K AUD. Not a price I will be paying for beaters.

I have been watching as his prices drop at the end of each auction where they are just not selling and being re-listed. My belief is that the only person who would buy these at these prices are other collectors and not someone who wants them for every days.

To get this sort of money for them they need to be made popular again. There will be many 20 somethings with disposable incomes (still living with mum and dad) who would buy them not for collecting but to use IF they were trendy and "must haves".

I know this is a bit of a ramble and for that I sorry but that is where I see the X-Metals at right now.

Cheers
Stephen

Back