• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is it important to have serial matched box???

Hmmm but there are incidents that the glasses did not matched the box.
which makes the matching serial one to be more desirable because there's a better chance it wasn't just laying around getting stuff swapped with other pairs. =)

Originality

I for one would much rather have a serialized pair of Juliets vs a non. having a matching serialized box , makes it even more original.
Similar to numbers matching engines and trannys in collector cars years ago, helps proof authenticity.

It used to be the first question I asked X Metal seller. Is there a serial on the left arm. Then depending on generation, Is there a serial on the box?
Plus serial on box was really only on X metals pre 2004

The truth is it doesn't matter to most people. It probobly started with someone who had an obsessive perfectionistic disorder, who at some point discovered by chanse that the serial of the frame is printed on the barcode of the box. Panic!!! From that point on he just had to have every pair in the collection matching the barcode label. IT MUST BE PERFECT! :cool-33:

It has a very real effect here on OF, because if you want to sell the glasses here, more collectors will want them if they have the serial matching box, and thus you can ask a higher price. On Ebay no one bothers to even mention matching serial.

Personally, I don't even need the original box, but I'm not that kind of collector.

It's sort of the nature of an obsession. You have to be obsessed to an extent to collect particular things and to want to have a "complete" example goes hand in hand with OCD. There is no more complete than a pair with matching box. It also plays into resale value and resalability- you can sell a matched pair to the largest number of potential buyers.
You can sell a matched set to someone who wasn't necessarily looking for a full set but you can't sell a loose/ mismatched pair to someone looking to collect the best possible example. So a full matched set is more desirable because it is in keeping with the nature of obsession as well as more saleable.
My .02

The truth is it doesn't matter to most people. It probobly started with someone who had an obsessive perfectionistic disorder, who at some point discovered by chanse that the serial of the frame is printed on the barcode of the box. Panic!!! From that point on he just had to have every pair in the collection matching the barcode label. IT MUST BE PERFECT! :cool-33:

It has a very real effect here on OF, because if you want to sell the glasses here, more collectors will want them if they have the serial matching box, and thus you can ask a higher price. On Ebay no one bothers to even mention matching serial.

Personally, I don't even need the original box, but I'm not that kind of collector.

Lol exactly, some dufus must have have staeted this $hit lol. And of course monkey see monkey do. The reason i said it does not matter to me is that these labels can be replicated 100% except for later gens that has the barcode on the sleeve making them labels irrelevant, but i see the point of having them matched for re sell purposes as carguy said.

It's the perception that the glasses cost more...

But I don't think a matching serial box makes the glasses even better...

The exclusivity of the glasses themselves is what drives cost, not a label on the box...

BUT, we could probably argue this since there are more reports and history of a matching box accounting for a minimal increase in price...

Not a big deal for me...

I'd rather buy "glasses only", but I'm far from a collector - I'm just a guy that likes Oakleys...

Serials are meaningless to me personally, but others will kill for a matching box...know what I mean ??

To me it is a greater achievement to get a complete set with matching serial box as they are fewer and further apart than frame only pairs but I do regret selling an as new Jordan Mars preferring (at the time) to keep a complete set in sub par condition.

Sent from my Nokia 5210 using TapaTalk

So, people buy complete matching set glasses and then end up selling them to suckers that have the perception that they're worth more...

Then, that person will do the same to the next and the next and the next, etcetera etcetera !!! <Willy Wonka>

Back