• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is it important to have serial matched box???

A pristine, complete, matching set is always the finest example of a collectible, Oakleys or otherwise. And thus are worth the most to, in some cases the only thing desired by, "serious" collectors. There's a timelessness to them, and increasing rarity as more are used, broken up, lost, or damaged.

Complete sets that aren't matching can be considered "restored". Like "this colorway came with Ice lenses and there's Ice lenses in them now but not the original ones". You can't always tell if something's been restored, but a non-matching box can be an indicator. These are also of interest to collectors who are in it to collect but they just don't have the same prestige, and thus the same value. Unfortunately some places, SGH in particular, were known to just throw in a random box of the same colorway instead of the matched one, so those were handicapped from the start. Damn hourly crackhead employees...

Everything else, they're for the casual collector, an enthusiast who just accumulates them and may mean to use them. As I am. It's not like they're not worth anything; they certainly are. And many, myself included, can be happy with a collection of that grade. But, from a "serious" collector POV, those items are quite a different animal, and nobody should kid themselves.

That's why I always wince when I see someone buy a "serious collector"-grade piece to use as a wear pair. One, you're overpaying for your intended use. Two, you're destroying / removing from the pool yet another top-grade collectible when there are so many at wear-pair grade already, even in pristine condition. But, it happens. I guess some guys just like to pop cherries.

Last edited:
A pristine, complete, matching set is always the finest example of a collectible, Oakleys or otherwise. And thus are worth the most to, in some cases the only thing desired by, "serious" collectors. There's a timelessness to them, and increasing rarity are more are used, broken up, lost, or damaged.

Complete sets that aren't matching can be considered "restored". Like "this colorway came with Ice lenses and there's Ice lenses in them now but not the original ones". You can't always tell if something's been restored, but a non-matching box can be an indicator. These are also of interest to collectors who are in it to collect but they just don't have the same prestige, and thus the same value. Unfortunately some places, SGH in particular, were known to just throw in a random box of the same colorway instead of the matched one, so those were handicapped from the start. Damn hourly crackhead employees...

Everything else, they're for the casual collector, an enthusiast who just accumulates them and may mean to use them. As I am. It's not like they're not worth anything; they certainly are. And many, myself included, can be happy with a collection of that grade. But, from a "serious" collector POV, those items are quite a different animal, and nobody should kid themselves.

That's why I always wince when I see someone buy a "serious collector"-grade piece to use as a wear pair. One, you're overpaying for your intended use. Two, you're destroying / removing from the pool yet another top-grade collectible when there are so many at wear-pair grade already, even in pristine condition. But, it happens. I guess some guys just like to pop cherries.

Thats me me me love them cherries lol

But also consider that all other collector pairs becomes more valuable as scarcity increases when a top-grade pair becomes a wear-pair.

BTW, is there any other type of collectibles where serial matching is even a thing? I never came across it in any other field of collecting other than X-metals.

But also consider that all other collector pairs becomes more valuable as scarcity increases when a top-grade pair becomes a wear-pair.

BTW, is there any other type of collectibles where serial matching is even a thing? I never came across it in any other field of collecting other than X-metals.
Cars. It was mentioned in this thread too.

Back