• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is the triggerman SO ugly?!

Ok dont hate me but....In my mind there are two Oakley's..... Oakley commons and true Oakleys. The new "crap" is meant for the masses and you have to weed through 80% junk to find the stuff that matters. The "Triggerman" are cheap no doubt. I had a pair and sold them because of how cheap they felt. The Catalyst are ugly in my opinion but they may look good on people. I see a lot of junk rolling out the lab these days.

Ok dont hate me but....In my mind there are two Oakley's..... Oakley commons and true Oakleys. The new "crap" is meant for the masses and you have to weed through 80% junk to find the stuff that matters. The "Triggerman" are cheap no doubt. I had a pair and sold them because of how cheap they felt. The Catalyst are ugly in my opinion but they may look good on people. I see a lot of junk rolling out the lab these days.
Thank you! This is what i mean. At least the new" x metals" are built relatively well

neXt metals vs O-Matter in durability... hmmmm i reckon O-matter frames win hands down. The new O-Matter blend is quite awesome imo - completely indestructable despite bending it crazy

I do agree that the O Matter is a perfect material for comfort and durability. What I dont like is at the end of the day its just plastic and appears cheap.

These days value is all about titanium, carbon fiber, blued steel, aluminum, coatings, and unique production methods. I would honest rather have sunglasses able to stop a wood chipper or survive in deep space then just be comfortable.

i concur the plastic does feel cheap but it offers impact and crush resistance. In fact, I tried to destroy a pair of quarter jackets the other day by hand - impossible despite bending the arms 180 degrees literally. It doesn't snap and pretty much idiot proof.

going back to Triggerman though, I personally would prefer to see some metals than plastics... something that showcases the engineering craftsmanship (or at least the illusion of it) rather than simple injection molding. I guess that's why I'm still stuck with my old metals rather than the new toys....

I did manage to hold a pair of Triggermans and...id have to say I wasn't impressed.
I'm more of a "tactile" kind of guy; I need my pairs to "feel" durable, have some weight and size to accompany that.
I've always had my heart in the metal frames simply knowing that they're metallic in nature and the durability that accompanies it. (X-Metals for example). Even the Badman is good in my books.
But holding the Triggerman, it felt...too light. Like it'd break...? I know that Oakleys O-Matter is a tried, tested and true material, no doubt about it! But *knowing* that it's plastic, and the light weight of it...eh...just didn't sit well with me.

Yall are talking about light and flimsy frames. Are you forgetting about the Zero? I'd say that did well.

Back