• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why no more love for the Frog??

... don't make us curious, come on let us know!

He did a pair of color shift that were sent along with the blends. Kind of like a cammilian paint. At different angles the colors change.... I ll post photos as soon as I get them. Im also getting him to make a pair of berrics Unified frogs. They are like a matte gold fade to clear. Not sure if he's started those yet he's been very busy with the black bags coming up on Friday at midnight. I'll be buying at least one of those I hope.

He did a pair of color shift that were sent along with the blends. Kind of like a cammilian paint. At different angles the colors change.... I ll post photos as soon as I get them. Im also getting him to make a pair of berrics Unified frogs. They are like a matte gold fade to clear. Not sure if he's started those yet he's been very busy with the black bags coming up on Friday at midnight. I'll be buying at least one of those I hope.

aaah. All sounds very cool. Looking forward to see the pics. (... so, still curious LOL)

After the 3rd Gen Frogskin commenced in 2007 the popularity of the model grew beyond the expectation of Oakley, which resulted in the production of them being extended beyond the original intent, to the point the model is still produced today. I recently asked Bluewater O Store what their current best selling glasses were...the reply? "Frogskins and Holbrooks". From the point of view of the company, the demonstration of the love of the model will be evidenced by the sales of the commercially available pairs that will yield the best financial return, these items essentially available on a global scale will be purchased in the main by the casual buyer, who can capture all the optical benefits at a more affordable price than other high end frames. Who knows how the sales of the original 2007 releases compare to the 2015 releases? Having been successful over this time from a commercial standpoint the impression is the "love of the frog" has not diminished. Many people here are collectors and have a collecting mentality, and will be aware of the massive hike in demand around 2008/2010 for this model, with copious pairs issued in 100 and under quantity selling out fast then going under the hammer on ebay for vastly higher prices than retail. Think back to the early sales of Moda3. DQM, St Valentine's Day, Atmos, Blends, Gentei, and a universe of others and it appeared no other model could attract such interest and investment. Over more recent times any such pieces surfacing would change hands for significantly smaller sums, giving the impression there was less "love for the Frog". Consider also, the array of collectors who by now have most of these super rarities, a) rarely loosen their grip on prized aspects of their collections, and b) are 'out of the loop' with demand today since they no longer need them. There are so many Frogskins that seldom, if ever, turn up as they are just so rare, so in these cases it is hard to be sure the values would be greatly less that when the Frogskin boom was at it's peak. Think also, we have Frogskin T- shirts, specific entries on this forum for threads relating to this model, we have a specific website...www.oakleyfrogskins.com, and copious internet features on Instagram etc. The vast mass of Oakley glasses simply cannot hold a candle to this model regarding love or sustained popularity, a model that men and women can pull off, can afford (normal issues), can easily fold to store in a pocket, and have character, a simple basic design with a childlike goofyness enabling a multitude of zany frame and lens colours to work in a positive fun way. Also consider the way the model lent itself to the development of others, like the Holbrook, the Jupiter, and the LX versions of these and the Frogskins themselves, the latter consisting of standard and Asian fit both of which are awesome spin-offs of the 3rd gen. Having reached 238 pairs myself (not meant as a boast, but as an expression of there being plenty of 'love for the frog' here), I am still in the hunt for the few I have never found, and would consider paying £1500+ for some of the pieces I would yearn to add to that collection. Who knows if and when Oakley will rest the classic monster, only maybe to reawaken it again years later as a 4th generation, to repeat the whole cycle yet again.

After the 3rd Gen Frogskin commenced in 2007 the popularity of the model grew beyond the expectation of Oakley, which resulted in the production of them being extended beyond the original intent, to the point the model is still produced today. I recently asked Bluewater O Store what their current best selling glasses were...the reply? "Frogskins and Holbrooks". From the point of view of the company, the demonstration of the love of the model will be evidenced by the sales of the commercially available pairs that will yield the best financial return, these items essentially available on a global scale will be purchased in the main by the casual buyer, who can capture all the optical benefits at a more affordable price than other high end frames. Who knows how the sales of the original 2007 releases compare to the 2015 releases? Having been successful over this time from a commercial standpoint the impression is the "love of the frog" has not diminished. Many people here are collectors and have a collecting mentality, and will be aware of the massive hike in demand around 2008/2010 for this model, with copious pairs issued in 100 and under quantity selling out fast then going under the hammer on ebay for vastly higher prices than retail. Think back to the early sales of Moda3. DQM, St Valentine's Day, Atmos, Blends, Gentei, and a universe of others and it appeared no other model could attract such interest and investment. Over more recent times any such pieces surfacing would change hands for significantly smaller sums, giving the impression there was less "love for the Frog". Consider also, the array of collectors who by now have most of these super rarities, a) rarely loosen their grip on prized aspects of their collections, and b) are 'out of the loop' with demand today since they no longer need them. There are so many Frogskins that seldom, if ever, turn up as they are just so rare, so in these cases it is hard to be sure the values would be greatly less that when the Frogskin boom was at it's peak. Think also, we have Frogskin T- shirts, specific entries on this forum for threads relating to this model, we have a specific website...www.oakleyfrogskins.com, and copious internet features on Instagram etc. The vast mass of Oakley glasses simply cannot hold a candle to this model regarding love or sustained popularity, a model that men and women can pull off, can afford (normal issues), can easily fold to store in a pocket, and have character, a simple basic design with a childlike goofyness enabling a multitude of zany frame and lens colours to work in a positive fun way. Also consider the way the model lent itself to the development of others, like the Holbrook, the Jupiter, and the LX versions of these and the Frogskins themselves, the latter consisting of standard and Asian fit both of which are awesome spin-offs of the 3rd gen. Having reached 238 pairs myself (not meant as a boast, but as an expression of there being plenty of 'love for the frog' here), I am still in the hunt for the few I have never found, and would consider paying £1500+ for some of the pieces I would yearn to add to that collection. Who knows if and when Oakley will rest the classic monster, only maybe to reawaken it again years later as a 4th generation, to repeat the whole cycle yet again.
Always well said!!!

Back