• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why No Respect For X-squared Or Half X?

Yeah. I dunno which thread Viral has been reading.

My point is, there's been a lot of posts in here that make it sound like these criteria are why it has the X Metal name. In fact, being made out of X metal IS the only criteria. Everything else might be aesthetically pleasing to you, but it's not why Oakley named them X Metal.

Herbsley, I'm reading the same thread as you. Here are some quotes from the thread...

"The Half X? It lacks the x-shaped nose piece that is the calling card of the X Metals."

"[XS] has all the qualities of an X-Metal. Flex coupler, material used, intake hinge, orbital screws, etc."

"...the departure from key original X-Metal characteristics makes for little respect for XS and .5X."

"The R1 does meet the intake hinge, orbital screws and materials used criteria though. "

(As mentioned, neither the R1 or R2 fit the X metal description if all those boxes have to be checked)

I totally get that they have different aesthetics than other X metals, but claiming they shouldn't be called X Metals because of the orbital screws or intake hinge, to me, is just silly. They are made of X Metal in the same plant using the same "75 hands" process as the others.

I'll have to look back thru this thread, but I can't recall there ever being a question that the XS or Half-X are not in the X-Metal range.
Because they are.

This is not the question being asked by the OP.
He asks why he sees no-one giving respect for them.
And people are replying that perhaps those two frames do not carry the same design cues as the rest of the range, and that is why some have shied away from the styles.

Put simply, I believe you are reading subliminal messages into the replies on this thread that actually aren't there.
No-one is saying they aren't X-Metals.
But some are saying they aren't as cool looking as others in the range.

I think they are simple and not aggressive. I am a fan of all different styles

I believe the Half X looks far better from the side. Definitely more suited to a smaller face and with that I had no chance so gave them to the Mother in Law :)

The X Squared are by far my favorite in the X Metal line. They tend to fit my wide face much better than the Juliet. Still have my love for the Juliet tho :) I have also wondered why the X Squared does not seem to be on par with the Juliet or other X Metal lines...

The Half X just does not do it for me I guess because it looks incomplete or missing something...which would be the bottom half of the frame.

Back