• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Remove X-Metal Serial Online?

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
I notice (sometimes) when selling X Metals, especially on eBay, people redact the serial number. Usually they leave the first digit or two but hide the rest. Why? If they're selling a fake I can understand, but when it's a real X Metal, what's the purpose? I can't think of a single reason that makes sense.

The only thing I've ever come up with is when people buy low and flip for profit. Giving out a partial serial tells buyers the original colorway and generation but also limits people from knowing for sure if the pair they are looking at is the same one that they missed on CL for $50 the day before.

I'm sure there are better reasons than that but I haven't come up with any.

Been discussed many times here. No reason in fact usually the seller shows the box with the serial number so why act like its a secret?
It's usually inexperienced sellers who do this. It's not a VIN or a license plate...

Some have posited that it's to avoid someone else making a claim on them, i.e. they were lost or stolen.

But mostly I think it's monkey see, monkey do...

Back