• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Sell X-Metals For Less Than What They Cost In The Store?

rmontez

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Wisconsin
Sorry I don't buy other Oakley's other than X-Metals so I don't know the value of any other glasses. My question is why do do sellers here on the forum sell their X-Metals for less than what they cost in the store? I see Juliet's and X-Squared listed all the time for less than what they retailed for. Now I am sure some, like me, found good deals or had the 25% to 35% discount but still these glasses are not available anymore. Just a curiousity question. Seems the XX and Romeo continue to increase in value.

Here are my cheapest NIB X-Metals I found:
1. first generation plasma juliets with fire iridium lenses NIB $237.00
2. X-Squared x-metal with ruby iridum lenses NIB $227.50 with free express shipping + tax.
3 Carbon Juliets with BI polarized lenses. NIB $300.00 with free shipping + tax

Essentially, the forum users are trying to sell them to other people that they know are not going to screw them. The monitary difference makes up for not selling them on ebay and having to pay for paypal, ebay fees, listing fees and especially not having to deal with the idiots and hassles of selling on ebay.

But for the newly discontinued items like XS X-metals with ruby they were/are still available in many stores and I for one, would still rather buy directly from an authorized dealer. So they are not worth as much from a private seller.

As for the Carbon Juliets the price is deflated because the market was just flooded by Oakley. And for the same reasons above, why would you not buy directly from Oakley when you can?

But this also brings up a really good point, what makes anyone think they are worth so much? Ebay's outrageous prices? If you look at what is actully selling on ebay they are not going for much more than you paid above. People can list an item on ebay for what ever they want. It doesn't mean they are going to sell it for that. Also, I think those inflated prices are what is driving up the on the boards. Whch is what really sucks!!!

Unless they're certifiable NIB... they're considered used ... thus their value is decreased ...

Depends on their condition also (rubber and nose piece)

Some peeps don't have everything that came originally with their X-Metals either ... that drops the value a bit...

So if someone bought some on the last Juliets to be sold (Carbon w/BI) but lack the box, scratched the coin and the rubbers are torn at the ends theres no F'ing way anyone is gonna pay 300$ for em ...

If they're a rare colour way (24K, IH, Ichiro's) they could be busted to hell and people would probably snatch em up anyways and get em restored to have a rare piece of Oakley history for a deal...

Thanks for the responses. This isn't really a complaint but more of an observation and discussion. I know I've gotten my fair share of good deals and am thankful for good honest sellers on the forum.

Like Lexkempo said, once you purchase an item the value decreases. Price depends on the color way and production numbers. Romeo's are high I think because of when oakley did their exchange program, this limited the number of available romeo's which increases the price. Juliet's have had many generations and have been produced for a much longer time so there are many around that can be bought, which decreases the price based on exclusivity.

Back