• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why Thinlink, Catalyst... unobtanium feels different?

EyeJacket

Oakley Enthusiast
Have you notice the Thinlink unobtanium and the Catalyst one at the earsocks feels different from other models? Less sticky rubber or something... Or is it just my imagination?

I just got the Ferrari catalyst and I'll tell you what for 190$ list they are almost as cheap feeling as the silver F. Oops did I just say that? Hope I didn't offend anybody.

My Bottle Rockets, which are sort of a hybrid between a lifestyle frame and a sport frame, seem to have a different feeling unobtanium vs Fast Jackets, Half Jackets, etc. It does almost feel less sticky and more firm than the true sport models. The Thinlink is really similar to the Bottle Rocket, combination sport/lifestyle half frame design. Perhaps they use a less sticky rubber thinking they won't be used for sports and it won't pull you hair as much when removing them.

It's not Unobtainium anymore (grippy rubber). They switch to a cheaper silicone rubber (like iphone cable).

No. Catalyst was just the first one, few years back . Probably more common on the lifestyle frames by now.

Back