• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why is Oakley discontinuing wire frame sunglasses?

Wire is metal so it narrows the profit margins from 10,000% to 8,000% so away it must go. Need to continue the march towards thinner and thinner plastics - soon Oakley will be making $200 single use sunglasses

But no in all seriousness I don't have a huge issue with it- while decently made the wire line tends to be very generic looking (though even that's a bit ironic given that's all they make now anyway) so hopefully this'll direct resources to more distinctive models

It's ironic Luxley would discontinue a generic line when their pattern has been in fact to discontinue anything that ISN'T generic and constantly come up with one generic model after another that nobody can distinguish from one another

gotcha. For a second I thought you were referring to wires as "all they make".

It's ironic Luxley would discontinue a generic line when their pattern has been in fact to discontinue anything that ISN'T generic and constantly come up with one generic model after another that nobody can distinguish from one another
Well in a way there is something positive,sincve there will be a place in a market for hi-tech avant-garde sculptural deisgns of sunglasses and watches and other apparell,It wont take too much time and I am sure some new brand will appear try to sell something more cutting edge then another Ray Ban ,or some oakley that will look just generic....

Wires are not being discontinued. Any of you wires critics tried Wiretaps or Conductors?

Wiretaps are a nice frame- kind of a wireish Half X actually (though on the way out)... Conductors are okay although they lasted about a month before being discontinued.

um, most O matter these days only last 2 and a half weeks...lol

One of the employees at a local O-Store earlier this year said something to a customer like "O-Matter is a proprietary product that will last FOREVER- I mean you can't even break it"; he then took some model (don't remember which- one of the newer ones) and bent the earstem completely in half. I almost piped up and made a sarcastic comment that I didn't know Oakley had started making rubber glasses.

One of the employees at a local O-Store earlier this year said something to a customer like "O-Matter is a proprietary product that will last FOREVER- I mean you can't even break it"; he then took some model (don't remember which- one of the newer ones) and bent the earstem completely in half. I almost piped up and made a sarcastic comment that I didn't know Oakley had started making rubber glasses.
been that way since they moved production to China...And that's the truth. I was talking to a friend and fellow Co-Pilot yesterday morning about that exact topic actually...Sad they have gotten so cheap...I can tell on each and every one that I work on...They are far more soft than they used to be...which is good and bad. Good that they don't snap, bad that they don't hold to your face nearly as well...

Back