• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Will Madman/Badman have the staying power of X Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegleg

Oakley Beginner
This is really a curiosity question, and just an opportunity for me, as a newer member, to try to start some good discussion (if it hasn't already been asked here before). I know the Madman/Badman line are not X metal, but there is no doubt Oakley drew some inspiration from the X Metal in their design. I'm curious to know what people here think, will the Madman/Badman line have a similar fan following down the line? Will these be the "next big thing"?

As-is I don't think so. If they come out with more new cool stuff in the line, maybe they'll have a chance of gaining a select dedicated fan base.

But original x-metals weren't just about styling; they also were about innovation. The neXt-metals lack the latter. I see that as a differentiator that will prevent the neXt-metals from ever reaching the same level of fame as the originals.

Prob not

I would look towards the PitBoss1 or any Elite Model (Not PB2) as the next in line compared to X Metals.

But it will be 5 years before they reach X metal status. My prediction anyway

It's always hard to predict what the future will hold for any particular frame. Had we all known what we know now about certain frames, l think they would have been hoarded from the get go. Many times things that were unpopular when they first came out end up going for big money later. To the purist, I doubt they will ever be on the level of the original X-Metals, but newer collectors in the future may deem them worthy and drive up the price. We will just have to wait and see.

Yes. Because I said so.

I think it will hold up, but Oakley will have to pump up the hype machine once more. As said by previous posters, the original snobs will not care for the new stuff. It is a matter of the nonmetal fans liking it.

The war isn't won overnight, this will take time. I actually like the new metals, and I want it to succeed.

I say it won't last for one simple reason: it has 2 major design flaws that limit its appeal to a very narrow market segment: the nose pieces are irreplaceable and it's got the dreaded spring hinge system that's prone to fail. What you end up with sadly is a Half-X reincarnate. A simple design of catering for user replaceable nose pieces would have seen it more successful with a broader audience. I for one can't wear the Badman because of the @#()%&@(#) nose pieces that are glued to the frame. Urgh!

I say it won't last for one simple reason: it has 2 major design flaws that limit its appeal to a very narrow market segment: the nose pieces are irreplaceable and it's got the dreaded spring hinge system that's prone to fail. What you end up with sadly is a Half-X reincarnate. A simple design of catering for user replaceable nose pieces would have seen it more successful with a broader audience. I for one can't wear the Badman because of the @#()%&@(#) nose pieces that are glued to the frame. Urgh!
Not to mention those hinges make them loose as hell on an average sized head. I can only stand wearing them with a hat on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back