• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wind Jackets As Goggle Replacement??

OBlazer

Oakley Expert
I need to pic up a set of goggles because i just picked up my first snow board. what do you all think of using the wind jackets as goggles though? just wondering if it might be a good idea

Benefits:
could use them year round as regular shades too
plan on getting a motorcycle in the future, would use them on that
fit more comfortably than most goggles

Things to think about:
Goggles are designed to handle fogging, split jackets not so much
would goggle anti fog treatment do anything for the lenses on the split/wind jacket?

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

I'd go for goggles any day! First, I'd start with the lenses: with goggles you get all different types of lenses adapted for the mountain and glare from the snow/sun (wind jackets only really come with a small choice of lenses).

Second, with goggles you get way more vision allowing you to see more of everything, including reckless skiers, any dangers up ahead and more peripheral vision.

With goggles you also got an impact absorber- if you face plant, the relatively soft lenses, rubber body and foam are less painful to fall face-first onto than a pair of sunglasses. Also, they're easier to find if you lose them in the snow.

With a bigger surface area, they keep your face warmer and let less cold air to your eyes (if you ski fast enough, the cold air makes your eyes water...)

You might have issues with some sunglasses and helmets (although oakley crowbars don't really fit well with helmets anyways).

I'd seriously go for goggles!

Most importantly....wearing Wind Jackets when going skiing/boarding would make you look like a total jerk. NEVER EVER sunglasses and skihelmets together.

And I completely disagree about Crowbars not fitting helmets. I been using both Crowbars and Splice goggles for years with different helmet types....no fit problems what so ever. The outrigger system aligns the glasses fine with the helmet if you ask me.

You can get Crowbar or Splice goggles for as low as 50$ in the US I believe....go for it....

I have one of the RED helmets with built in headphones, and the crowbars sit awkwardly with those...

If I didn't buy the APX Dragon goggles, I would've definitely gotten myself the ARMADA x Oakley crowbars! They are sexxxxxxy!

I use POC helmets. Crowbars and Splice sits perfect on their Receptor helmets. That helmet model had a very regular shape which probably helps a lot.

thanks for your incite fellas, I'll probably try to find some DE goggles at the vault or something. Save the wind jackets for when I actually can afford a bike

as far as i know just the wind jackets . . .
you can see it at the box!

Back