• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wired Magazine Article On Oakleys And X Metals In Particular

CarGuy

Finally got rid of the default title...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Hey, I'm sure that it is a repost but I stumbled across this article and felt compelled to share for other neophytes like myself:
Wired 7.12: Supreme O
It was written for the December 1999 issue of Wired magazine and discusses X Metal design and especially.

Wow, great article. I love how he care less about his shareholders and wish he never went public. He is passionate about Oakley but somehow Went public for cash flow, but if he could have waited it out, all would be well. Hindsight is 20 20. I think oakly is now about profits hence the issue with the metal line.

'As he listens, Jannard moves the smooth temples of the glasses open and closed. "Well, we aren't going to sell anything with defects," he says adamantly. "That's out. Forget that."'

Hatchet hinges, magnesium corrosion, new square wire hinges breaking at the frame.

yea they have had alot if defective product in their history but i do not know if all of them were reasonably foreseeable. they did need to test some of the stuff more like the romeo and the spider crack issues.

yea they have had alot if defective product in their history but i do not know if all of them were reasonably foreseeable. they did need to test some of the stuff more like the romeo and the spider crack issues.

i agree to an extent- there are clear issues with some things, eg fmj, old o matter- but they fixed some of that over time.

however i wouldnt say the romeo lens issue is a defective product. yes, its a design problem, but many people (myself and herbsley included) can wear the romeo wih no issues what soever. its all about understanding the design, and operating it appropriately. ie- we know the design is inherently weak at the lenses where it flexes, so minimise stretching out the frame? its just like anything else- just because new o-matter frames are designed to be strong enough to get an earstem bent 90degrees off and rebound to the appropriate shape doesnt mean you should do it, and doesnt mean it doesnt cause some damage either.

In response to BriP's post, I would point out that I bought my R1s from new way back, and never knew that there were apparent stress crack issues with that model until I read about it online.
I just treated my £250 sunglasses with due care. Mine are still perfect.
:rolleyes:

Back