• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Wonder how this news will affect Oakley's new relationship?

oakleybezerk

Unicorn Chaser
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
The Rainbow Nation
http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Ferrari-boss-Team-could-quit-F1-20140614

Ferrari boss: Team could quit F1

LOS ANGELES, California - Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo might pull his team out of Formula 1 because it "isn't working" and switch to sports-car competition,
Ferrari has long-standing disputes with F1 governing body the International Automobile Federation and Montezemolo expressed frustration with recent F1 rules changes.
"F1 isn't working," he told Friday's Wall Street Journal during an interview in Maranello, Italy - the team's spiritual home. He complained that the federation had "forgotten that people watch the racing for the excitement. Nobody watches racing for the efficiency".

'SPORT YES, BUT ALSO A SHOW'

New regulations have made the the sport more environmentally friendly and cut costs with a new turbo-hybrid V6 engine which is quieter and burns less fuel but the boss of the most iconic brand in motorsport complained that the restrictions would muffle a key element of the GP - the howl of the howl of the engines.
"People watch racing to be entertained," he said. "Nobody wants to watch a driver save petrol and tyres. They want to see them push - it's sport, yes, but also a show."
Montezemolo attacked in particular the rules that forbid advances on engine design during the season, a situation that has left Ferrari third in the standings.
"And we cannot touch the engine?" he asked.
Ferrari is a subsidiary of the Fiat Group of which Montezemolo was chairman from 2004-10. The brand has 15 F1 Drivers' titles and 16 Constructors' championships from 221 GP wins.
It has raced in F1 since its formula's debut in 1950.
It had also participated in endurance races such as the 24 Hours of Le Mans but from 1973 founder Enzo Ferrari chose to concentrate exclusively on F1.

FOURTH IN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Montezemolo stressed that no decision had been made but indicated that Ferrari could pursue endurance racing as soon as 2020, the Journal reported. "We cannot do sports-car racing and F1," he added.
Since the start of the 2014 season Ferrari has been trailing Mercedes and Red Bull and is even under threat from Force India.
Ferrari is fourth in the Constructors' championship; one of its drivers, Fernando Alonso, is fourth in the Drivers' standings with fewer than half the points of leader Nico Rosberg of Mercedes.

Ferrari's withdrawal might actually KILL F1 in some areas of the world ...

In Montreal, when I worked at the F1, Ferrarri was the clear crowd choice and most people wore Ferrari apparel than anything else... This could suck!

In regards to Oakley, I'm not worried ... It's a prestige edition and not necessarily related to the F1 Circuit or Bernie Ecclestone...

Ferrari's withdrawal might actually KILL F1 in some areas of the world ...

In Montreal, when I worked at the F1, Ferrarri was the clear crowd choice and most people wore Ferrari apparel than anything else... This could suck!

In regards to Oakley, I'm not worried ... It's a prestige edition and not necessarily related to the F1 Circuit or Bernie Ecclestone...

As far as F1 and Ferrari goes, I'd wager a majority of Americans (obviously not all of the Oakley customer base, but certainly a large portion of it) don't even know they are part of the F1 events. Have you tried watching an F1 event on TV in America? Good luck, unless you catch it on a weekday afternoon (which sucks, as an F1 fan).

Now for how Ferrari and Oakley will deal with this, I'd say not much if anything will change. To the casual buyer, Ferrari is a prestigious name, not necessarily something they connect with racing. Very similar to Ducati. Lots of people know the name, few people know the heritage. Never stopped people from buying them in O-Stores and SGH, and I don't see it happening now.

And as far as Ferrari and their fan base in F1 are concerned, I feel like they've lost a LOT of casual race fans to the likes of Red Bull. It's been several years since Ferrari was in it's F1 heyday, and people just don't stay devoted to a team that isn't winning and winning often. I'd love to see them re-enter endurance racing, or even step out of racing for a bit and refocus their efforts and tech and come back better than ever.

I've never had a problem catching an F1 race live, I just don't like waking up early Sunday morning to do so

As far as F1 and Ferrari goes, I'd wager a majority of Americans (obviously not all of the Oakley customer base, but certainly a large portion of it) don't even know they are part of the F1 events. Have you tried watching an F1 event on TV in America? Good luck, unless you catch it on a weekday afternoon (which sucks, as an F1 fan).
NBCsports covers testing typically at 5am PST and repeats it at 9pm on Fridays and qualifying on Saturday mornings 4-5am depending on location and then repeated it again that afternoon or night depending on other race coverage. Sunday's race is live at 4-5am and repeated usually about 11am same day.

NBCsports covers testing typically at 5am PST and repeats it at 9pm on Fridays and qualifying on Saturday mornings 4-5am depending on location and then repeated it again that afternoon or night depending on other race coverage. Sunday's race is live at 4-5am and repeated usually about 11am same day.
Yeah they really give it primetime coverage! lol

As someone who leaves for work at 4:30am and gets home at 5:30pm, their programming schedule sucks.

Latest Posts

Back