• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Worn Out Orbital Screw - Help

paff

Oakley Expert
Poland
Friend of mine has a pair of Juliets. The problem is with removing screw in the orbital. The head of the screw is completely worn out, so there is no way to unscrew the orbital and remove the lens.
Need Your help and opinion on how to remove this screw. Anyone had similar problem?
Below are the photos.

PICT17321_zps1e28d7bc.jpg

PICT1727_zps77c0ef38.jpg

Anyone had similar problem?
Anyone? Or everyone?
Plenty of threads here that detail screw removal. The most successful (both first-hand and anecdotally) is to drill out the head (carefully) so that you can pop the orbital tab over the remains of the head.
Then soak the threads in a penetrating lubricant like a WD-40 or PB Blaster for a period (a day, a half a day) then insert a pair of needle nose pliers into the spread of the orbital and remove the screw.
Basically searching can capture many of these threads already extant here:
T6 Screws | Page 8 | Oakley Forum
Striped Head on Juliet Screw | Page 3 | Oakley Forum
Hit a bit of a snag when changing lenses on my penny | Oakley Forum
Hope you've been well my friend!

has anyone tried those reverse threaded strip out bits? They come several in a set but I don't know if the come that small or not? Sorry if that is in one of those links above I didn't go through them.

I did try an "easy out" twice. I don't know about the cell phone solution above.
I know for me what did work was that if you choose the correct diameter drill (or use one spec'd in those threads) and use caution you can easily drill out the T-6 head and not damage the orbital.
I did see a trick to insert the drill bit into a straw (to protect the orbital) in a thread and I might try that next time.

Anyone? Or everyone?
Plenty of threads here that detail screw removal. The most successful (both first-hand and anecdotally) is to drill out the head (carefully) so that you can pop the orbital tab over the remains of the head.
Then soak the threads in a penetrating lubricant like a WD-40 or PB Blaster for a period (a day, a half a day) then insert a pair of needle nose pliers into the spread of the orbital and remove the screw.
Basically searching can capture many of these threads already extant here:
T6 Screws | Page 8 | Oakley Forum
Striped Head on Juliet Screw | Page 3 | Oakley Forum
Hit a bit of a snag when changing lenses on my penny | Oakley Forum
Hope you've been well my friend!

Thank You man, I must have missed some threads while searching forum.

Back