• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Would you ever wax a goggle lens?

Hazenhart

Oakley Beginner
Not an old or scratched lens. A brand new one.
Some of the higher end automotive liquid waxes/sealants are great for repelling dust, oils, and water. Would it be acceptable to use something like this on the outside of a Flight Deck Prizm lens?
What could the detrimental effects be?
This all assumes a spotlessly clean lens and a clean microfiber for application, of course.

Thanks for your time.

I would not do it.

If you needed to do something like that why not just use the O stuff dedicated specifically to water repelling?

If you aren't satisfied with the result it will be very hard to remove the wax without damaging the iridium coating. Like Frank said Oakely's hydrophobic kit is worth a try on the outside of the lens (don't touch the inside..)

On a Prizm rose lens you aren't risking as much (it is also a less expensive lens), but I'd go for a dedicated treatment for glass and not a normal auto wax if I were to try it... (Rain-X etc.)

I wouldn't. I have waxed my motorcycle helmet shields but the clear and dark smoke lenses on it are more durable than the goggle lenses in my opinion. If you are still considering it, grab and old goggle lens to test it on first.

Back