• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Advice Needed

beergrover

Oakley Beginner
Hey all,

As you can probably tell I am pretty new to this forum and have already learned a great deal about my X Metals, a frame that Oakley has seemingly abandoned but has a STRONG following still which is more than apparent here.

When I was first seeking to tighten the nosebridge on my XX's Metals bought back in 1999 I like many others came across the giant wall of resistance from Oakley. The concept that they would give up on these frames that are so ballistic and look so damn cool is beyond me. However I do understand the world of giant conglomerate buyout and it appears that they are going the route of "consumable goods"....a damn shame.

With all of that said I had all but given up getting these glasses fixed and had gone and purchased a pair of new X Squared glasses. I like them. However with the discovery of this forum and finding that in fact there ARE those who can fix them I am wondering if the purchase was needed. I still am within the period of time where I can return them no questions asked for a full refund. However I ask myself this......

It seems that they are giving up on the Metal line altogether with no idea as to whether or not it will return. I am thinking that maybe I WANT to keep these frames for use down the line for when these XX Metals finally buy the farm (although I cannot think of when that may be they are so damn resilient). I wear these glasses full time as I have HORRIBLE eyesight and I get the lenses done with Transitions so they are all in ones for me. For me eyewear is a must, and I figure why not be unique. If there is anything that these X Metals are it is unique. Am I crazy for thinking that maybe I have a pair of glasses worth hanging on to even though I do not NEED them now?

I know that was a bit long winded...but it seems this is the forum for this type of question.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Michael

Michael,

First and foremost, welcome!

As for your concern, I'd say keep them. The X-Metal line has proven that they retain their value. If you want to sell them later the should still get you every dollar you spent on them back. If you bought the XS and like them and would wear them, I'd say keep them even though you have your old XX. That way you still have a choice on what you want to wear each and every day. If you return the XS and want to buy them again in the future, the price may be higher than the prices now.

People who have these x-metals really have a love affair with them,some collect em some just wear em because they are truely one of a kind.keep the xs and after looking around at all the different colors and styles maybe youll see something you may want to trade for in the future.heres the way i look at it...."wear em cause you cant take em with you"

welcome brother in O. yup, i say keep em. especially if you did buy them to wear, means you can afford it. Next, you can also tune up your old XX metals, as they have a high value now, so keep em as well. only problem may be, once you browse this forum, you may end getting more than you bargained for. you may notice yourself clicking on the paypal site more often than you think...

All superb advice. Like I said...the more I read the more I feel that it is almost an investment to keep them. I did notice that the value seems to not decrease and to keep them in tip top shape is not out of the question. Now if I can just convince the wifey to allow me to keep them :)

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated everyone.

Cheers,

M

i rebuilt your xx last night and now they are like new again,they are in such nice shape visually i wouldnt have refinished them.i would get a set of linegear rubbers off e-bay and some new lenses and call it a day.

Latest Posts

Back