• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal database - identification

mopiko

I should Work at Oakley
hi guys,

I need some input in identifying a couple of xmetal parts.
Pulled straight from the database

Please correct me if im wrong

1. Bridge pin :- i believe is the 2 metal pins that goes in the center of the bridge?
  2. Bridge Flex coupler:- Is the rubber part sandwich 'inside' the bridge
  3. Orbital gasket:- the small rubber piece that holds the lens at the bottom?
  4. X-metal bridge bolt??:- any idea?
  5. X-metal stem bolt??:- any idea?
  6. Stem washer:- the circular plastic for anti-friction purpose?
  7. Pin gasket BLK LF:- what is this in black and left?
  8. Pin gasket BLK RT: what is this in black and right?

upload_2014-11-13_0-14-18.png

Last edited:
@THE X-MAN could speak to this better, but aren't the rubber pieces in the flex coupler nosebridge left / right specific? If so, maybe those "pin gaskets" are the rubber pieces in the nosebridge (the pins certainly go through them) and the "flex coupler" part is something else.

Or maybe you're right on the flex coupler and those bolts / pin gaskets are for a different x-metal frame?

I'm just guessing... too bad the db doesn't include pics of the parts...

Yeah, I don't quite see what this db is getting at either. For me, the flex coupler is comprised of the left and right gaskets and the pins that secure them in the nosepiece. I guess you could argue that the nosepiece is part of that arrangement too, as it holds the pins. What room that leaves for a separate flex coupler I don't know, unless as Kronin suggests, it's for a separate model?

1) Yes, I believe we can all agree on what the bridge pin is :)

...its funny as the list "BRIDGE PIN STRAIGHT", since they generally need to be replaced once they are bent!

2) Same as #1, more bridge pins, different finish - 'blasted, maybe similar to X-Metal?

3) Yes, an orbital gasket. They are the same on both sides, left and right, interchangeable. etc...

4) Is the X-Metal bridge bolt for the X Squared or R1? That is my best guess based on the information provided.

5) "Stem bolt" would likely be the same as "ear stem", which makes sense.

6) Stem washer... Yes, the anti-friction and alignment 'calibrating' washers. Note the Oakley OEMs are small and thin, needing 2 or more on the top and bottom. It is not uncommon to need 1 or 2 on the top or bottom then 2 or 3, I've even seen 4 on the opposite side. LG and other aftermarket are thicker, often requiring only 1 per top/bottom. I mention this as obviously 10 washers may only be enough for one pair of glasses if you do 2x4 = 8 pieces average per pair.

7 & 8) While it makes some sense that a 'pin gasket' would go around the pins, there is no difference between the left and right - the pieces inside the nose/bridge that the pins go through are the same. It could be the same but I have never heard it called that before. Is this perhaps for the X Squared or R1? (I am not really sure what this is? o_O)

by process of elimination, I came up with this:

1Bridge pin :- pins that goes in the center of the bridge
2Bridge Flex coupler:- rubber part sandwich 'inside' the bridge
3Orbital gasket:- the small rubber piece that holds the lens at the bottom
4X-metal bridge bolt??:- r1 orbital screw
5X-metal stem bolt??:- hinge screw
6Stem washer:- circular plastic for anti-friction purpose
7Pin gasket BLK LF:- r1 orbital gasket left (probably bottom)
8Pin gasket BLK RT: - r1 orbital gasket right (probably bottom)

Thanks a lot guys for the input!
I'd try to screenshot it's part number too if It make any sense at all.
Might make sense Prob to oakley rep who has access to Xmetal db?

Nose flexors are front to back, they are the same , just flipped to the other side.if you look at a oem flexor there is a letter F on it meaning forward facing.if you dont face them correctly.....you will have alignment issues.