• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Discontinuation Has Started

I was just at the Vault in Orlando - they had like 20 pairs of X Squared for 285.

Classic Vault. ie: not that great. Only advantage to that over eBay as of right now would be you get warranty coverage, otherwise pretty much every XS and Juliet variant can be had for under that (and that's before sales tax).

So let me get this right..... They are really discontinuing "all" x-metals?

That is correct. My understanding there is a whole new line being started in its place in 2013 with the designs and materials involved yet unknown, but the Juliet and XS are ceasing production this month (March) and the X Metal plant in Nevada closed.

ucdavis4PT0gpa said:
That is correct. My understanding there is a whole new line being started in its place in 2013 with the designs and materials involved yet unknown, but the Juliet and XS are ceasing production this month (March) and the X Metal plant in Nevada closed.

Sigh that is so depressing, I just watched that awesome xmetal video they made a few years ago again talking about the Nevada plant.

I was told by Oakley they are keeping the Juliets and XS but discontinuing everything else. Was told the IH were just on backorder. I was told they ill be making the x metals differently in 2013.

I really wonder if it has to do with the economy at all. I really feel some of it has something to do with that. Cause think about it.... All I ever see Casual Oakley wearers wear / purchase are the gascans/ half jackets. And those all can be had for around $100. I wish they honestly would discontinue the watch line. IMO watches are kinda pointless now since everyone tells time in their cell phone lol. JJ should have never sold the company :-(

I was told by Oakley they are keeping the Juliets and XS but discontinuing everything else. Was told the IH were just on backorder. I was told they ill be making the x metals differently in 2013.

This is contrary to what we've been hearing. It also doesn't make sense....the only X Metal OTHER than the XS and Juliet in production is the Half X and that's only one variant now. The IH isn't on backorder, that creates either a "ships in 4-6 weeks" status or at worst a "Temporarily Sold Out"...while what is happening now is the "Limited Availability-Call Stores" which has always been what shows up before a model/variant is removed from the site because its discontinued. And I guess you could say they're making the X Metals "differently" considering they won't be made with X Metal any longer.

As for JJ...well, he's an innovator and hands on/passionate about what he does and I think he felt that had run its course with sunglasses and I can't say I blame him for knowing he could take all the money made from the sale and dump it into Red One which is really starting to take off now.

Back