• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal Factory In Japan

Ha yeh more like more money in there back pockets than back orders!!tis a shame that they gone more down that route than there mad scientist route but money and profit 1st for the share holders

Sadly the United States is for sale and other countries are buying. I wouldn't be surprised at all if HQ in Foothill Ranch becomes a shipping and receiving only operation in the next 5 years. Manufacturing in California is expensive. With Luxotica at the wheel its going to be about market share and profit. Even if Oakley still has some freedom in design and marketing the pressures from the parent company will trickle down. My opinion may be a bit biased, three years ago I was sold to a Japanese based company, but I see it happening all around me. Its been good so far, double dipping with retirement and still working. The only problem is I am to old to learn a 2nd language and I have no idea what the CEO is talking about in conference calls.

Sadly the United States is for sale and other countries are buying. I wouldn't be surprised at all if HQ in Foothill Ranch becomes a shipping and receiving only operation in the next 5 years.

I'm living 20mls away from Adidas and Puma HQ. The same happened here years ago.
They still have outlet shops, but there is no production.
So I can tell you it's not a US or Oakley specific thing, it's a global thing.

I had an interesting convo today with a person very high up in one specific department that handles the dirty side of the biz, and it was confirmed very little is made here anymore. Still O Matter, but that is about it. This has been beaten and pounded on many times. Fact of the matter is this: Accept it or move on, cuz you won't change what LUX is thinking. It is a trend brand now, no longer a purists brand. This is why styles for the most part, suck. They have burnt through the last of the JJ stuff apparently, and are left with kids designing crap that they like, not what collectors like. As with anything else, the glory days are behind us, and what's left is a fashionable brand that is targeted around the twenty-somethings and younger. Expect to see even more knock offs too. As manufacturing moves, so does the high likely hood that the items will be counterfeited.

Yep couldn't agree more Dr Chop I'm in UK and work for American company BALL and they are excellent American company just wish we could cut oakley open and still see made in USA all the way through ha ha

Well as far as I'm concerned, I understand the globalization thing. But I was paying a premium for an American brand. Not sure why I'm paying $300 for Rx frames anymore when they are made in China. Although Japan > China quality wise.

But I was paying a premium for an American brand. Not sure why I'm paying $300 for Rx frames anymore when they are made in China. Although Japan > China quality wise.

In my opinion that's an ignorant statement. Who says stuff made somewhere is better than another place? Do the Japanese work harder than the Chinese? I think not. I've seen stuff made in the USA that is worse than things made overseas.

Back