• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal Factory In Japan

In my opinion that's an ignorant statement. Who says stuff made somewhere is better than another place? Do the Japanese work harder than the Chinese? I think not. I've seen stuff made in the USA that is worse than things made overseas.

+1....

Oakley sunglasses are made in the us, but most of the other products they sell are made out of the states! I would love for them to bring back x-metals no matter where it's located.:dance3:

In my opinion that's an ignorant statement. Who says stuff made somewhere is better than another place? Do the Japanese work harder than the Chinese? I think not. I've seen stuff made in the USA that is worse than things made overseas.

Not ignorant - in the manufacturing world, China has lower quality control and is famous for having "show" factories that people actually see... but when you actually follow a product backwards they end up coming from a different place with different quality controls, different working conditions, etc. This is how Nike, Walmart, Gap get bad press for child labour, etc. The same thing doesn't seem to happen with Japan.

Not ignorant - in the manufacturing world, China has lower quality control and is famous for having "show" factories that people actually see... but when you actually follow a product backwards they end up coming from a different place with different quality controls, different working conditions, etc. This is how Nike, Walmart, Gap get bad press for child labour, etc. The same thing doesn't seem to happen with Japan.

Not to mention the general disparity in mindset between engineers and manufacturing managers. I've worked hand in hand with more than a dozen Chinese companies from all over and there is a clear difference between "western" companies from the US, Japan, UK, Canada, Germany, etc and plants in Brazil, China, Mexico, India, etc where the manufacturing base is founded on a lower overall quality of worker.

Not to say the people are dumb and don't work hard, but costs are kept low and workers are plentiful. It's appalling at times to see how people are treated.

Well made in USA used to mean something, perhaps you are of a younger generation. Not to mention that paying a premium for a US brand also comes with minimum wage, workplace safety and perhaps benefits. As opposed to child labour.

Quality control is more prevelant and manufacture testing and safety controls. Something as simple as the paint on a frame, I would be more concerned with dangerous paint chemicals leeching into my skin from a Chinese made product.

If x-metal plant were to move to Japan, I think we are all gonna be paying a more hefty retail price for them.

Latest Posts

Back