1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Lando

Lando Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

I got my hard vault in on Thursday, and as the seller stated the foam was crumbling. The bottom foam sheet was sticky and had a dark resin residue so I figured I would have to custom cut new pads. Luckily I was able to get the bottom sheet peeled off the curved foam pieces. I was then able to get any residue off the curved pieces with Goo Gone before I soaked them in a hydrogen peroxide and vinegar bath. After the soak I washed with some Dawn, and rinsed. They were almost like new after this process. I was happy to be able to retain some of the original foam. I then bought a new thin foam sheet to line the bottom of the vault before replacing the original pieces. I am excited so I thought I would share the small project. Here are some pictures of it: X-metal Hard Vault Foam Repair - image.jpg X-metal Hard Vault Foam Repair - image.jpg X-metal Hard Vault Foam Repair - image.jpg X-metal Hard Vault Foam Repair - image.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

Nice job, looks good

3. Lexkempo

Lexkempo Frog Fanatic

Whoah! Excellent job!!! The cut looks factory done!

4. Lando

Thank you. The foam sheet was fairly easy to get done - I just used a ruler and a paper cutter. The hard part was getting the curved pieces cleaned up to reuse. It was a fairly messy process due to the crumbling and sticky liner. The curved pieces seem to be a little more durable than the foam liner from factory, so others may be able to use the cleaning method to reuse them.

5. thisguy

thisguy Oakley Expert

Nice job on the restoration. I have a case like this with bad foam inside. I knew this when I bought and thought I would be able to fix it, I just haven't taken the time to do it haha.

6. Lando

Yea I was going to try to throw out all the foam and put some new pieces in there, but luckily I was able to save some of the original. It was a little messy cleaning it up, but didn't take too terribly long. Good luck with your restoration when you get to it!

thisguy likes this.
  7. mizuno hadouken

mizuno hadouken Oakley Beginner

This is awesome. This is motivating me to fix my crappy vault =P

8. Lando

Haha good luck. I am happy with my results.

9. mizuno hadouken

mizuno hadouken Oakley Beginner

I actually worked on it this morning and cranked it out in like 30 minutes. It's so much more awesome now since I had some good foam laying around to use!

Lando likes this.
  10. Jben04

Jben04 Oakley Enthusiast

My hard vault's foam was crumbling so bad i just pulled it all out.. now to find some decent foam to line it with...