• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal Hard Vault Foam Repair

Lando

Oakley Expert
IL
I got my hard vault in on Thursday, and as the seller stated the foam was crumbling. The bottom foam sheet was sticky and had a dark resin residue so I figured I would have to custom cut new pads. Luckily I was able to get the bottom sheet peeled off the curved foam pieces. I was then able to get any residue off the curved pieces with Goo Gone before I soaked them in a hydrogen peroxide and vinegar bath. After the soak I washed with some Dawn, and rinsed. They were almost like new after this process. I was happy to be able to retain some of the original foam. I then bought a new thin foam sheet to line the bottom of the vault before replacing the original pieces. I am excited so I thought I would share the small project. Here are some pictures of it:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thank you. The foam sheet was fairly easy to get done - I just used a ruler and a paper cutter. The hard part was getting the curved pieces cleaned up to reuse. It was a fairly messy process due to the crumbling and sticky liner. The curved pieces seem to be a little more durable than the foam liner from factory, so others may be able to use the cleaning method to reuse them.

Nice job on the restoration. I have a case like this with bad foam inside. I knew this when I bought and thought I would be able to fix it, I just haven't taken the time to do it haha.

Yea I was going to try to throw out all the foam and put some new pieces in there, but luckily I was able to save some of the original. It was a little messy cleaning it up, but didn't take too terribly long. Good luck with your restoration when you get to it!