• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Juliet, Romeo, XX

Doug Chubb

Oakley Beginner
Indiana
I've always liked and bought the o-matter style glasses. Upon becoming a member to this forum I have now become slightly obsessed in the x-metal line. I'm leaning more towards the Romeo and XX lines due to not being sure how Juliet's would fit and look. So I have a couple questions. 1st those of you who own and wear Romeo's or XX's, what do you like and dislike about then? Looking to see what people say about coverage of Juliet's compared to like flak jackets with regular lense shape, just because I do think Juliet's look the best of the 3 I've mentioned and really thinking about trying a pair. 3rd question, any tips or advice on finding a pair at decent price and anything soecific besides condition of frames and lenses when I do track down a pair? Thanks everybody in advance for you help and advice. I've been addicted to this site since I first found it.

no comparison to omatter. the fit is SOLID once you find the model that suits you. juliet is the usual starting point, romeo is where i am now.

you spend money real quick though.. xmetals are about 80% o the total cost of my collection currently

Welcome Doug!
Not having Juliets or Flaks here with me and going from memory I would say that Flaks are a little bigger than Juliets and about the same as an XX.
The differences between R1's and XX's is mainly the styling but also the fact that R1's do not have a flex coupler and are basically maintenance-free (aside from gaskets). But, the R1 is not for shrinking violets- you make a pretty big visual statement when you rock a pair of R1's. Or XX 24K's for that matter. I like the fit of XX's best out of the XM line and my wife likes the look of the XSs' best. Juliets are basically scaled-down XX's.
Find a pair that are not in need of a tune-up but if they do make sure that the purchase price reflects the deferred maintenance and then send them to the Xman for a real good tightening.
Keep you eyes open for a nice pair that need nothing and enjoy them. As with cars, it's generally cheaper to find something that is already restored than to find a basket case and pour money into it.
Hope this helps, keep reading the forum and you'll have a good knowledge base.

XX's are the Juliets for large-headed people, and the one and only X-Metal pair I own. They can be had at a relatively reasonable price in great/LNIB condition.

For me the bulk of the XMetals didn't fit well. I've had everything except a Penny on my face and only the Romeo has enough coverage and had comfortable stems for me.

The XX, Juliet, R2, and Mars all kind of felt like they were perched on my head, the R1 felt like they fit.

So now I'm after a Romeo.

Thanks so far for everybody that's given me their input. Right now I'm still reading all these different threads about x metals and the styles, color combinations, and what to be looking for when buying a pair. So far I think my main conclusion is to wait a few more weeks till I can view the exchange thread before diving blindly into eBay. I've been checking Craigslist religiously for anything oakley (I think I see the onset if a baaaad addiction) and its been rare to find anything except fake oakleys being passed if as legit anything within 200 miles of me.

Yea, the more people that join here, the harder it becomes to snag good pairs. A lot of members hawk cl and eBay all day lol.

I wore Juliets for 14 years and I have a pretty big head, literally. I think having the hammerstems helped. I wore XX on and off but they felt very tight on my head. I have R1's but I have not officially worn them out of the house yet so I can't tell you much about their fit but I can give you a comparison picture

null_zpsf9944638.jpg

Back