• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Lenses

Hexadecimal_7

Oakley Beginner
There is a pair of Romeo 1's for sale and the seller had said that they were a display model for his store. They do appear flawless but I have one concern... The lenses do not have the etched "X Metal" in the bottom right lens. I was under the impression that this would be indicative of a replacement lens that was non OEM from Oakley. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

No etched X Metal, not original Oakley.

Are you sure? I've purchased juliets before and they had no etching. And the majority of Romeos I see on eBay also have none. Can anyone else add their input? Or have any other ideas?

Romeo lenses have etching on the left lens. All other lenses like juliets or or penny do not have etching unless the lenses are poralized.

Are you sure? I've purchased juliets before and they had no etching. And the majority of Romeos I see on eBay also have none. Can anyone else add their input? Or have any other ideas?

Aftermarket lenses are what you see in R1's because they do not fit as snugly as OEM and as a result they are not as prone to stress cracking.
Additionally, when a pair of OEM lenses go up for sale they are very pricey and a reseller would not get the value back out of OEM lenses if he out them in a frame to prepare for sale.
So you see a lot of R1's with non-Oakley lenses.
I have a pair that I put aftermarket lenses in for daily wear. I'm happy with the optics and happy with the fact that they have not yet cracked. If you want a pair of R1's to wear, pick a set up, install non-OEM lenses and wear the crap out of them.
If you want a shelf queen then find a pair but be prepared to pay top dollar just to say X Metal on the left lense.
They are tanks, gaskets are now affordable and you will never have to worry about flex couplers again.
They are IMHO the best XM's for those reasons.

Ok thanks for the replies. Another question: if lenses are from another pair from say Splice, and cut to fit the R1 would that increase the value of the package? And how is the best way to determine whether you have authentic Oakley lenses or if you have the aftermarket stuff? Thanks in advance.

Ok thanks for the replies. Another question: if lenses are from another pair from say Splice, and cut to fit the R1 would that increase the value of the package? And how is the best way to determine whether you have authentic Oakley lenses or if you have the aftermarket stuff? Thanks in advance.

well original oakley lens material cut from another model is better than aftermarket. our resident Dr Chop does lens cuts for the Romeo and juliet frequently.

best way to check is post a photo. also look through them and take a squint around.. Aftermarket lenses tend to be not as optically clear as OEM (you can pick it up if you already have Oakley lenses to compare to). youll notice even the black iridium oakley lenses gives great color contrast even in lower light situations, however, youll find aftermarket lenses washes out colors, and especially so in low light conditions, and usually the tint is too dark for comfort.

physically, alot of aftermarket lenses are thinner than OEM.

good luck. whatever it is, a ROmeo1 is something i wouldnt hesitate to pick up when its at a decent price